Weight Distribution Hitch with Auto Leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inane222

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning guys,

I've had a truck on order for months now and camping season is upon us. Looks like I'll be using the wife's suv for the first couple trips. A general internet search and search on this forum has found several discussions with different opinions. Decided to ask here as it seems there are several veteran members who tow regularly with a similar setup.

Tow vehicle is 16' Yukon XL Denali. Travel trailer is 6k (empty), about 800lbs tongue. WDH is Blue Ox Sway Pro 1k. I realize my payload and tow capacity will be near max so I'm watching what we take and how we place it. I've towed this once before and the Yukon did just fine but the trailer was empty and I had one other passenger with no gear. I'll plan to scale it out along the way.

Owner's manual states:
When using a weight-distributing hitch, the spring bars should be adjusted so the distance(2) is the same after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch. If a weight-distributing hitch is being used, it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate, thereby leveling the vehicle prior to adjusting the hitch.

Sway Pro manual states:
Air-ride shock absorbers, air springs, or automatic leveling systems on towing vehicle should be disabled or deflated to the manufacture’s minimum recommended pressure prior to SwayPro™ installation.

Asking since the two manuals seem to go against each other. What do you guys think, how do you hook up your travel trailers?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deflate the shocks then hook up then turn them back on. Good advice here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right