Weigh Distribution Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-mart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing a 7X16 Cargo trailer to tow family belongings from NC to CO next month. I've got a '15 Yukon XL with max towing package. I plan on getting a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Trailer tongue is 18-19" high when the trailer is level and centerline of the Yukon receiver is around 23". My question is, has anyone towed with a similar setup? Looks like I need at least 5" of drop but most shanks that come with hitches aren't close to that. I guess I'll need to purchase an extra low drop shank?

Thanks,

Kevin

RedAggie03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing a 7X16 Cargo trailer to tow family belongings from NC to CO next month. I've got a '15 Yukon XL with max towing package. I plan on getting a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Trailer tongue is 18-19" high when the trailer is level and centerline of the Yukon receiver is around 23". My question is, has anyone towed with a similar setup? Looks like I need at least 5" of drop but most shanks that come with hitches aren't close to that. I guess I'll need to purchase an extra low drop shank?

Thanks,

Kevin

I had to get a 8" drop shank for my Fastway E2 Trunnion bar WDH. Look into them, it's a good hitch and they offer a lot of drop shank sizes - I've bought 3 different sizes over the years.

OP
OP
K

k-mart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I picked up an Eaz-Lift with sway bar since the trailer I'm buying is used and already has the ball mounted to the trailer frame for the sway bar. I also ordered a 9" drop shank to get me level.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, even Hobo Frieght has a cheap, adjustable one-

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=adjustable+drop+hitch

It's not standardized though, so you cannot just run out to get a longer drop shank to fit it. I have that one but I also have a Curt and had to get a longer drop shank to fit the Yukon, even with a rear 2" drop.

I bought one of those when I needed a quick one and wasn't sure where else was open or nearby.
It is ok, but is not as solid as other brands I've seen. Plus it is loose fitting which might seem ok when it has weight on it, but depending on the turn, bumps, road level it can move along with the conditions. So while not unsafe, it does allow more movement than what I am accustom to.
Since the OP is also looking at anti-sway, this is not the best choice for a long haul. Short term with trailers that sway is not a concern, it can get you by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts