Weak blower motor / fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems like the blower fan in my '01 Tahoe just doesn't move much air.

When we turn on the A/C, I can feel cold air blowing out, but it's just trickling out - not blasting as you'd expect.

Where do I start to chase this thing back into formal BLOW mode? I can't hear any particular weird noise, as you might expect if something was stuck in the fan. It's just not moving much air.

Any thoughts on where to start?

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with the blower motor resistor. They are a very common issue with these trucks. I just replaced mine. $25. 5 min fix.

OP
OP
C

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would start with the blower motor resistor. They are a very common issue with these trucks. I just replaced mine. $25. 5 min fix.

OK, right on. I'll start there.

I bet if I do a search on blower motor resistors, I'll find a good right up on all of that.

Do worn resistors keep it from pushing air at full blast?

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, right on. I'll start there.

I bet if I do a search on blower motor resistors, I'll find a good right up on all of that.

Do worn resistors keep it from pushing air at full blast?
The resistors control the fan speeds. Over time, they burn up, corrode and cause the fan to lose one, more, or all fan speeds. I believe there was a TSB about it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 Denali That i got in late December came with a shorted blower control module/resistor. The blower motor was locked up tighter than a whistle. I put in a new blower motor and tada all fixed until I realized that the blower motor was on... without a key even in the ignition let alone put in accessory or run position! I replaced the blower control module/ resistor assembly with a updated replacement and works like its suppose to now.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the blower fan in my '01 Tahoe just doesn't move much air.

When we turn on the A/C, I can feel cold air blowing out, but it's just trickling out - not blasting as you'd expect.

Where do I start to chase this thing back into formal BLOW mode? I can't hear any particular weird noise, as you might expect if something was stuck in the fan. It's just not moving much air.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Just as you've been directed towards... swap out that blower motor resistor but it's also always good practice to install a new blower motor when you have a resistor that fails!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The resistors control the fan speeds. Over time, they burn up, corrode and cause the fan to lose one, more, or all fan speeds. I believe there was a TSB about it.
X2 on this, many cars trucks ive owned......the resistors used to be springs instead of the mini circuit boards now....guess im old

FATHEAD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe. Owner advised the blower didn't work at one point so resistor was replaced and now only speeds 3 and 5 work. Suggestions?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe. Owner advised the blower didn't work at one point so resistor was replaced and now only speeds 3 and 5 work. Suggestions?

Try a new resistor. Nissan Titans are especially finicky when it comes to blower motor resistors and will only function properly with a OEM resistor from the dealer. You could swap out the resistor as a defect and try another of the same brand or hit the dealer for the OEM part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo