Water pump replaced now there's a noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
Hows it goin,

I did the wp yesterday. As soon as I turned the key apon completion, im hearing a fairly quite squeal that changes pitch randomly. As well, wen I rev it in park the squeal gets a little louder but not by much . Can't here it when truck is moving.

Should I hv dumped fluid into the pump somehow at the upper rad hose or into the pump somehow ? Would fluid not get to the pump if I filled it all the way up top at over flow tank. Did the pump get screwed up cause it started out running dry ?

What about the belt could it be making the.noise if.its not the right amount of tension . It spounds like.its on the outside of accesories location not inside like from a pump.

Peace, James.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, how old are the belts and tensioners and idler? You gave no mileage. If the belts and tensioners and idler are old I would suspect them. The tensioners sit for thousands of miles in one position and then you pry on them to remove belt(s). What brand water pump? Please tell me you did not go cheap or reman water pump.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of times when you distributor the belt system something else will start in. unless you started the engine before putting any coolant in the pump should be fine. i have the the same following questions as pnw vietvet.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on the tensioner and belt. It’s a good idea to change the tensioner when you’re in there.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my water pump I inevitably got coolant on some of the pulleys. That caused a squeal for a short while then went away.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something else I did not ask about but has nothing to do with the noise is, did you do an AC Delco thermostat while you were in there?

Damn, I just thought of something else I meant to ask about, you did not say what year so I am gonna ask, did you replace the fan clutch if it has one? Also, don't cheap out on that part either. This could also be noise related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645