Was looking for crossover but 2015 Tahoe blew us away!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, welcome to the forum. To give you some perspective on my experience with the new Tahoe. I have a White Diamond LTZ with 22" wheels. I have the max trailer package to tow our wake boat (4,500 lbs empty) as well as a much heavier travel trailer (6,000 lbs+). I would highly recommend the LTZ for the magnetic ride control as well as the auto-leveling rear air system. This makes a big difference when towing. The Tahoe does struggle some with the heavy travel trailer but mostly on windy days. As for the boat, I can't feel it back there hardly at all.

I had an '07 Tahoe and this '15 is much better in all aspects. I had the 20" wheels on the '07 and now the 22's. I do feel that the ride is much stiffer and you can feel more bumps in the road but I expected that with less tire. These new models really need the 22's to proportion the vehicle in my opinion. I had 15.8mpg over the life of my '07 with 125,000 miles and with the '15 I have 10,000 miles and I'm getting 18.3mpg with mixed city and highway driving. A big improvement indeed.

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
18.3 MPG is pretty impressive for such a big truck. My 08 Honda Ody averages about 16 MPG in a mix of high way/city driving. Never ever got close to the advertised mileage with the thing.

The Tahoe really surprised me on the highway fuel econ and if i ended up averaging 18-19 mpg that would be more than satisfactory to me.

My other commuter car is a Chevy Volt:)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So when do you take delivery of the Tahoe because I believe you have talked yourself in to a new vehicle.:party52:

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compare a Tahoe 4x4 to the only AWD minivan, Toyota Sienna, and the MPG looks awesome! LOL There isn't many AWD SUVs that get over 25MPG, unless they are a 4 banger such as Rav4/CRV/Forester.

I test drove a '15 LTZ and the thing is fantastic!

Get the 2015i if you can, wireless phone charging and handsfree tailgate are worth it.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are pretty new to the game at just over 6k miles, but 18ish MPG has been pretty easy to get. Extremely good IMO for such a big, heavy rig. Our highest on the 50 mile average readout is 25.2MPG. Around town city driving I would expect 16-17.

Now that winter is here (****** gas, cold weather, long warm-ups etc) I have been noticing closer to 17 MPG. But again, not really much of a chance to really check everything yet.

I will say, though, with a travel trailer (or any heavy trailer for that matter) don't expect much more than 10 MPG. We went through 2 tanks of gas this fall hauling a travel trailer, and one was just under 9 MPG and one just over 9 MPG.

I will agree these things are extremely expensive. They seem way overpriced to me. That being said, they are very very nice.

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
That is the dilemma.. Nothing really compares and they pretty much own this market so the price is the price I guess.

I was hoping a 50k SUV would have captivated me and impressed me but so far nothing comes close.

I will test drive the Infiniti product this weekend to see if it even comes close.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Anybody here have a LTZ White Diamond w/ the basic 22" upgraded wheels? Would love to see some pics.

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the Yukon Denali? Same price as a LTZ but you get the 6.2L 420hp beast! With the 8 speed, it's 1mpg less than the 355hp 5.3L.

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Here in Canada Denali is atleast 6-7k more. The 355 HP is plenty for me and i'll take the little bit of extra mileage.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned '02, '10, '12 Tahoes and a 2015 on order (scheduled to be built next week). I can't think of another SUV I'd ever own. My wife has a 2011 Infiniti QX56 and what a piece of crap that is. She had a 2006 that was pretty good. I've tried to steer her to a GM SUV to no avail. guess she like the infiniti's status? I drove the new Q60 for ***** and giggles before ordering the Tahoe. It doesn't compare. As far as the raised floor in the cargo area. I will like that. Good space for storing stuff. I guess they had to build up the floor to be able to have a flat floor when the third row folds down. used to have to take out the back seats to get a bigger flat floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA