Was looking for crossover but 2015 Tahoe blew us away!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommytuna

Reaction score
We have been shopping for a replacement to the Honda Ody minivan. Tried a lot of the cross overs and then local GM guy threw us the keys for an overnight test drive of the 2015 Tahoe. It blew us away but it is also blowing our budget. Nothing out there comes close to drivability and smoothness of this thing. We are seriously considering going for the 2015 LTZ (actually prefer Tahoe look to Yukon). They are offering me "employee pricing" since I work for a company that has some sort of deal (pretty much invoice from what I can tell).

here are a few questions I have...
- Are the 2015i's available in Canada now?
- Any differences aside from electronics upgrade in the 2015i vs 2015? I.e. do they normally correct issues in these interim builds that might not be advertised?
- What type of 4WD does this vehicle have? All the cross overs I was looking at had fancy intelligent systems. Assume when you flip into 4WD that power is going to all wheels at all times?
- Assume this thing would be a beast in the snow with the right winter tires
- Hwy fuel economy was great (averaged 11 l / 100 on a 50 km test).. But short city runs seem pretty poor. What are the folks who mostly do city driving here averaging on MPG? are you hitting the advertised numbers?
- Anybody willing to share what they paid in Canada for the LTZ? Right now best i'm seeing is $63,900 + HST from a car cost canada agent (freight included - no options)

What we don't like:
- the raised cargo floor (not a lot of height vs. mini van
- wasted space between second row buckets.. would have been nice to have a removable console
- parking the thing - but I think we'll get used to the size

Welcome your comments and advice!

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Tom! Welcome to the forum. I don't have all the answers to your questions but I'll take a whack at the ones where I might.

1) I have no idea if there are 2015i available in Canada. It really wouldn't surprise me either way. You're looking for a build date of 10/6 or later.
2) I think the difference will be the wireless cell phone charging inside and the kick-to-open rear tailgate.
3) If you have the single speed transfer case version you'll get 2HI, 4HI and AUTO. 2HI is standard rear wheel drive but this thing does have a limited slip differential in the back. 4HI simply sends power to all four wheels and is recommended in snowy conditions. AUTO engages the front differential but doesn't send any power up front until the system senses wheel slippage in the rear. If you get the HD trailering package the system will come with a two speed differential in which case you'll also have 4LO and N. 4LO will get you unstuck from some pretty hairy situations.
4) Yes, I've put Nokian studded tires on my past Suburbans (same 4wd system) and they're fantastic in the snow. Honestly, unless it's deep snow, I just drive in AUTO around town and, with those tires on, the thing almost never needs the front wheels.
5) Yes, there are no free lunches, this thing weighs nearly 6000lbs so it requires more energy to get it moving than something like a minivan. Still, these things have come a long way in terms of fuel economy.
6) Not in Canada.

The "wasted space" is great if anyone ever needs to get into the third row and you have child seats in the buckets. That's how our oldest gets into the back to his seat. Parking is relatively easy with the sensors and camera. You'll be a pro in no time!

Final piece of advice is to get the HD trailering package if you think there is ever, even a remote change you'll want to tow something. It's cheap to add now and very expensive to retrofit later. Make sure it's listed on the sticker if you want it.

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Thanks Lyon - great responses! I will checkout the HD trailering package you suggested.

If there are some Canadians on the thread - please chime in.

I think this GM guy knew once we drove this thing nothing else would compare. Wasn't even on our radar. Now the highlander, pathfinder, and MDX just seem cheap and thin.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's also been my experience driving crossovers after owning a Suburban. The big rig has a certain sense of solidity about it that I really like and with the new version the road manners are much better.

Good luck in your search for the right vehicle!

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
So what is the actual difference between the gear ratios when you go with HD package? Does this adversely impact fuel economy at all?

I will occasionally be trailering a boat that will at max weigh 4000 lbs - nothing close to the stated limits.

Fuel economy is very important to me.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular axel ratio is 3.08 and HD is 3.42. The HD package also adds the 2 speed transfer case and integrated trailer brake controller. I'm assuming your boat weighs 4000lbs (not 4) so you'll be within the towing capacity of the 3.08 especially if you don't plan on going up any big hills.

Honestly, I don't think you'll see a significant difference in fuel economy between the two. If it were me I'd get the HD package in your situation.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That 6 speed trans should still give you the correct gearing when towing and still get decent fuel mileage.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if we were talking about the difference between 3.08 and 4.10 gearing then you might notice the difference in consumption. The 3.42 (as compared to the 3.08) will make pulling your boat up out of the water easier though.

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Makes more sense now!

Can anyone comment on the impact of going from the 20" to 22" wheels from a fuel economy perspective? is it negligible (i.e. < 2%) or much more noticeable?

I think this truck looks amazing in White Diamond with the 22" wheel upgrade (reasonable $985 upgrade here over the stock 20"). Would go with 20" black steelies with Blizzaks for the winter.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think 22s are the way to go. The belt line is so high on the trucks it calls for them. I still get good milage with them. 18ish normally....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700