Was at dealer no upgrade for Tahoe rst performance parts if I Tune I heard it still stays incomputer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at dealer and asked what upgrade I can get service director told me go to part to get a high performance air intake and gm will tune the computer for it . But there was no upgrade are available for rst. I was told if there was a part gm with send tune for it dealer for the part . He said it a fast Tahoe as it is but I find slow still . Wanted to do something gm part upgrade so I don’t looose warranty . Don’t want to spend a lot either . Something quick and easy .

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at dealer and asked what upgrade I can get service director told me go to part to get a high performance air intake and gm will tune the computer for it . But there was no upgrade are available for rst. I was told if there was a part gm with send tune for it dealer for the part . He said it a fast Tahoe as it is but I find slow still . Wanted to do something gm part upgrade so I don’t looose warranty . Don’t want to spend a lot either . Something quick and easy .
probably the easiest thing to get some noticeable difference is a tune like blackbear @BlackBearPerf

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought of tune defiantly but I am afraid being without warrenty. I heard between tech in the forum a while back when you tune and you take off tune to go into dealer and you go into the computer you can tell if it was tuned before . There stay somewhere in the computer that it was tuned the spec stay I don’t know where. Well need expert advice here from techs. Let see how many Chevy dealer tech in this forum will know to answer the question, does the computer in car is there a way to know that yes something was programmed before and now it normal. I heard something stay that shows it been tuned when you dig deep inside computer diagnostic.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a risk and you have to understand that and weigh your options. If you're wanting more performance (no matter how far you go with it), a tune is going to eventually be required to optimize what you've done. Just throwing an exhaust or intake on a vehicle without a tune won't do anything other than change the sound a bit.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are driving a RST, the cost of the tune is a small fraction of your window sticker. I remove my tune every time I go in for service. It’s a 2 minute process. The dealer has yet to question me about it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Because they’ve had no reason to look. You don’t just “hook up the computer” and it yells “TUNE!!! TUNE!!!” If they ever have a reason to look (catastrophic failure, etc.) and it shows it was reprogrammed 100 times, you’re done.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a risk and you have to understand that and weigh your options. If you're wanting more performance (no matter how far you go with it), a tune is going to eventually be required to optimize what you've done. Just throwing an exhaust or intake on a vehicle without a tune won't do anything other than change the sound a bit.
Really, there's not much you can do to "tune" a naturally aspirated engine at all. The "tunes" we read about on the internet are mostly adjustments in the instructions the engine uses for fuel mixture and boost behavior on turbocharged and supercharged engines. Without getting into philosophical detail on whether that is a good idea, I would say that it's relatively easy to do through overriding OEM software settings.

You can increase the output from a naturally aspirated engine, sure, but only through major surgery. Adding a supercharger, boring the cylinders, that kind of thing. I know that the people at Black Bear would disagree, but what those guys do is more about shift points and particularly in our cars, behavior of the cylinder deactivation - all of which may provide the illusion of more power but do not actually increase the output of the engine materially.

(flame suit on)

Last edited:

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought of tune defiantly but I am afraid being without warrenty. I heard between tech in the forum a while back when you tune and you take off tune to go into dealer and you go into the computer you can tell if it was tuned before . There stay somewhere in the computer that it was tuned the spec stay I don’t know where. Well need expert advice here from techs. Let see how many Chevy dealer tech in this forum will know to answer the question, does the computer in car is there a way to know that yes something was programmed before and now it normal. I heard something stay that shows it been tuned when you dig deep inside computer diagnostic.
We would be happy to help with a tune. With the AutoCal you can use it to go back to factory settings when ever you take it in for service. We do everything we can to make sure there is no trace of the tune with GM's current method of tune identification. We have had no warranty issues to date. What can happen is when they have an update for your vehicle software, we have you read out the tune files and email that to us so we can update your tune.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a risk you’ll have to be willing to take. Question is, are you willing to sink in money for headers, cat deletes, cam, upper engine work, etc. If not, an air box and a muffler isn’t worth the gamble of losing your warranty. Even with all that work, what will you gain? Remember, it’s still a 7’ tall hippo. You certainly won’t beat much on the street. Just my 2cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon