Warranty safe performance for 08 LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thalacy12

Reaction score
I've already put on a CAI and am in the process of choosing an exhaust for my 08 Tahoe LTZ. I want to get some more power out of my truck w/o voiding my warranty. Anyone have suggestions?

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
The GM Performance exhaust is baffled if I remember correctly which would give you little to no performance gains. Aftermarket stuff will NOT void your warranty as long as that specific part does not cause the defect. For example, if you were to install a nice Magnaflow or Corsa exhaust and you had to take it to the dealer for an unrelated problem, it is against the law for the dealer to deny your warranty.

VEHICLE WARRANTY DENIAL & THE LAW

Some motor vehicle dealers and manufacturers are telling customers that the factory warranty on their motor vehicles is "void," if aftermarket parts or accessories are installed on their vehicles. This is incorrect. DONMAR would like to refer you to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c) that:

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor."
Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of product, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. DONMAR is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to parts, accessories or styling products.

DONMAR considers any claim to void your factory warranty, or the actual voiding of your factory warranty, solely for the installation of a DONMAR product or other aftermarket accessory, to be a violation of federal law. We reccomend that you ask your dealer to provide a written record of the warranty denial, including specific reasons, if warranty is denied under the following circumstances:

A motor vehicle dealer fails to provide warranty coverage on an unrelated factory part, and refuses to "demonstrate" [as federal law requires] that an installed aftermarket product caused the failure for which warranty coverage has been denied.
A motor vehicle a manufacturer refuses to honor, authorize or cover warranty repairs on your vehicle, merely because you have an aftermarket product installed.
A motor vehicle dealer or representative of the motor vehicle manufacturer advises you, prior to your purchase, that the installation of aftermarket parts or accessories will void your vehicle warranty.
The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) monitors problems associated with warranty claims to ensure that vehicle dealers are not misrepresenting the law. If you believe legitimate factory warranty coverage has been unfairly denied due to presence or installation of aftermarket parts or accessories, contact SEMA online at www.sema.org, or call 909/396-0289. SEMA will contact the dealership and manufacturer to advise them of the law and request that they clarify their position relative to the installed aftermarket parts or accessories.

In addition to any informal action SEMA may take, you should consult an attorney and various state and federal agencies, who may be able to assist you in protecting and enforcing your warranty rights, if you encounter a motor vehicle dealer’s or manufacturer’s refusal to honor your motor vehicle warranty.

If the failure to honor a warranty claim involves the new vehicle warranty, and it appears that the dealer improperly denied the claim, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online at www.ftc.gov, or call 202/326-3128.

****This info came from http://www.donmar.com/ConsumerBillofRights.htm ****

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it with exhaust is anything after the cats is warranty legal. I may be wrong but that's the way I understand it.

OP
OP
T

thalacy12

Reaction score
Ya I'm not worried about the exhaust or CAI voiding my warranty, but wondering what else I can do. I have thought about tuning it but was told that if the dealer wanted to they can void the warranty if they notice it's been tuned......

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Ya I'm not worried about the exhaust or CAI voiding my warranty, but wondering what else I can do. I have thought about tuning it but was told that if the dealer wanted to they can void the warranty if they notice it's been tuned......

The engine tuning is kind of a grey area. Best bet is to get a Blackbear Tune and save your stock ECU to plug in when it goes into the dealership.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

CAI, Exhaust and a Blackbear is an excellent performnce upgrade from stock. That is the best money spent for perfromance without forced induction

OP
OP
T

thalacy12

Reaction score
I've heard alot about Blackbear in the posts I've been reading. I'm still deciding what exhaust I'm going to put on and after that I'll make a move on the tune. I've been leaning towards Billy Boat but have also been looking at Corsa and SLP. It has autoride so had to cancel my original SLP order for the dual side outlet. I am liking the look of the Billy Boat, unfortunately I can't get much info on the sound.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I've heard alot about Blackbear in the posts I've been reading. I'm still deciding what exhaust I'm going to put on and after that I'll make a move on the tune. I've been leaning towards Billy Boat but have also been looking at Corsa and SLP. It has autoride so had to cancel my original SLP order for the dual side outlet. I am liking the look of the Billy Boat, unfortunately I can't get much info on the sound.

I think it would be worth it for you to take a look at Magnaflow and Borla while you are looking around. The Magnaflow setup for these Tahoes are bullet proof and sound great.

r6acer

Reaction score
I just installed a corsa sport and volant intake. using a edge cts programmer to maximize performance. the sound is great,.. slightly louder at idle than stock once its warm and a bit of a growl at applied throttle. corsa is a bit expensive but no drone at 40 -50 mph like magnaflow.

2009 Tahoe LTZ

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No dealership/maunfacturer can legally deny warranty due to aftermarket parts unless they can PROVE that the aftermarket part(s) in question is directly causing the problem(s) that are otherwise covered under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10