Warranty Recommendations for 18 Yukon XL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erofu Sane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, In process of purchasing higher mileage (94k) 2018 Yukon XL Denali.
Any recommendations or experience with warranties to purchase that would cover main components and electronics?

BTW, Am new here and searched - didn't see any content so started new post.

Thanks in Advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of threads about this and I don't recommend any of them but others here do.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go down about seven posts from yours and you will see one "Warranties Available" and if you scroll through the General Discussion section a few pages you should see a few more.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations or experience with warranties to purchase that would cover main components and electronics?

Thanks in Advance.
The only warranties worth buying are from the vehicle manufacturer. The rest are a rip off. Car Shield and the rest of the third party sellers are crap and will rob you blind.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in Advance.
Run the Severe Service Schedule and self-insure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree. Percentages are always in the warranty company's favor. That is what insurance is all about. I have never had an extended warranty policy but when in my shops I have dealt with them and hate them for what they say they cover and then how they fight to not cover the same things.

IMO, you should ALWAYS have savings that is added to every week or month and never skip saving and that money is for maintenance that you can PLAN AHEAD about and for repairs if needed.

If you just have to buy one of these vile things, get the GM warranty and no aftermarket coverage. They have been known to close business, disavow any contracts and move to another state under a new name.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only warranties worth buying are from the vehicle manufacturer. The rest are a rip off. Car Shield and the rest of the third party sellers are crap and will rob you blind.

Incorrect. There are plenty of aftermarket warranty policies that are as good or better. Fidelity is the best one I've dealt with. Get a Fidelity Platinum and you'll be set.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a big risk on these K2 trucks and even more so on the T1. I used to agree but everything is so expensive, all tied together, and has to be programmed on these K2 and newer vehicles. There is so much stuff that you just can't not fix if it breaks like people are used to doing on older vehicles and there are more and more parts every day that you can't buy used because they have to be programmed. If you're buying a GMT-900 or older, skip the warranty and self-insure but anything new than that buy the platinum policy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a big risk on these K2 trucks and even more so on the T1. I used to agree but everything is so expensive, all tied together, and has to be programmed on these K2 and newer vehicles. There is so much stuff that you just can't not fix if it breaks like people are used to doing on older vehicles and there are more and more parts every day that you can't buy used because they have to be programmed. If you're buying a GMT-900 or older, skip the warranty and self-insure but anything new than that buy the platinum policy.

I've been writing several responses and keep defeating my own argument! On the one hand, the GM MDI2 and GDS2 software costs about the same as a Tech-2 so diagnostics and programming is not an insurmountable task. On the other hand, those K2s with their thermostatically controlled transmissions are lucky to see 100K miles, well some noticeable percentage of them anyway, and so a warranty may not be such a bad idea for peace of mind for those not mechanically inclined and or without savings.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Let's say you buy new rig and you have a bumper to bumper 3 year 36k miles warranty and a 5 year and 60k miles powertrain warranty. A no deductible warranty at that. Extended warranties have deductibles, unless I don't know about some that don't have deductible on some coverages. There is no need for an extended warranty over that whole time.

During that time you start a savings plan for maintenance and in the future repairs. If you spend money as fast as you make it and don't save, well that is on you. If you buy a new rig and have nothing left over, after monthly payments and insurance, that is on you again and IMO, you should not be buying a new rig. You are free to make that choice.

If you can put back $500 a month for the 3 years, that is $18k to do maintenance with and still have a nest egg for repairs after the first 3 year 36k bumper to bumper warranty and then two more years to continue to save an additional $12k to have for repairs toward the powertrain repairs, if needed after that.

If you just have to have an extended warranty, by all means buy it then.

But, IMO, what happens is that the customize bug hits and you wipe out the savings because you just gotta have it, NOW!

I know that in 5 years and after taking care of the rig I bought the way it should be taken care of, I can make $30k stretch for maintenance and repairs and even if you lower your monthly saving from $500 a month to $250 a month, a smart savvy person can make it happen.

$500 a month is $17 a day to save and half that for the $250 a month after the 5 years.

Instead, you buy an extended warranty for, I am gonna guess because I don't like the things and don't follow their costs, $3000 to $4000 and if you cannot buy it outright, you pay more making payments. Then the deductibles along with all of that and having to wait on call backs and adjusters.

Buy a new vehicle, take care of it the right way on the severe duty schedule and have enough patience to save the $17 a day or more. Hell, over 5 years if you save $20 a day that is $36,500.

Even at the end of 5 years, and $20 a day savings, you have almost half of what you paid for the rig if you paid $80k, which I will never ever do.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent