Want to Upgrade Shocks/Struts on SSV, Not trying to lift/lower...Preferred Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really trying to upgrade my suspension. I’m brand new to the PPV and hate the harsh ride. I’m not trying to make it into a Denali (even though that would be nice).

What shocks/struts and coil spring options will make it drive like the civian models without changing the ride height of the PPV? I’m going nuts feeling every bump in the road and feeling like my truck is falling apart.

I have a 2009 PPV with only 110k miles.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I’m really trying to upgrade my suspension. I’m brand new to the PPV and hate the harsh ride. I’m not trying to make it into a Denali (even though that would be nice).

What shocks/struts and coil spring options will make it drive like the civian models without changing the ride height of the PPV? I’m going nuts feeling every bump in the road and feeling like my truck is falling apart.

I have a 2009 PPV with only 110k miles.

Look at Bilstein 4600.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still looking for help. Is the Bilstein 4600 the way to go on improving the ride comfort of a 2009 Tahoe PPV, without changing the ride height? According to their website, it wont work on a “police edition”. do I reuse my old coils with the 4600?

I see the Monroe 39106 is designed for the factory fit.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I’m still looking for help. Is the Bilstein 4600 the way to go on improving the ride comfort of a 2009 Tahoe PPV, without changing the ride height? According to their website, it wont work on a “police edition”. do I reuse my old coils with the 4600?

I see the Monroe 39106 is designed for the factory fit.

Here is the best I can tell you... I have an LTZ and not a PPV but have done a fair bit of research because I was thinking of going the other direction.

The strut body on the PPV are slightly bigger in diameter and therefore take a slightly bigger diameter lower spring perch... that is to say the hole in the spring perch has a slightly bigger hole to fit around the 39106 strut.

As long as the new strut you are using comes with its own spring perch you should be fine. If it doesn't then you would need to source the lower perch elsewhere as I believe your factory one would be a little too big around.

I lowered my Burb with the Belltech spindles and struts and am looking to firm up the front suspension some... which is why I was looking into PPV struts.

I already gifted my original lower perches to the OP so I can't help there.

Also from what I understand the front end of the PPV is not actually lowered at all.... only the rear is lowered slightly (about 2 inches).

The lowered look comes from the fact that they run the 17" wheels. There are a few guys on here running the factory 20" wheels on PPVs and it looks just like a stock Tahoe in the front as far as height is concerned.

With all that being said you should be fine to swap an entire strut assembly out of a non-PPV into your truck without it "lifting it up"... IMO

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also from what I understand the front end of the PPV is not actually lowered at all.... only the rear is lowered slightly (about 2 inches).
This is true, the front is lower than a civy Tahoe because of the low profile PPV tires. The rear has a different spring all together than a civy Tahoe.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I would go with Bilstein anything or the stock GM high end OEM parts, I think some are Bilsteins others are a red color and I'm forgetting who AC Delco private labelled them from....but those would be my first options. I also was looking for a slightly higher ride height and some stiffness.