Want to Upgrade Shocks/Struts on SSV, Not trying to lift/lower...Preferred Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
09 Tahoe SSV 4x4
119k miles, ALL/EVERY Fluid changed out two months ago.
Stock springs, US Govt. did replace all shocks with "Union" brand? Not bad just wanting to upgrade :)

Id love to have a slammed Tahoe, but the whole reason I bought this truck was to have a go anywhere, drive in mud, two tracks, fire trails and tons of snow without worry of breaking stuff. My HHR is my summer go-kart, 3" off the road. I love dropped big bodies but I don't want to do that here.

I do not want to do any fabricating or lift kits, I am open to swapping other compatible GM truck suspensions/parts onto my Tahoe. I do a lot of highway driving, will have separate sets of Summer and Winter rims and tires and do want to try and have improved MPG, looks and function. I like to keep close to the stock ride quality, slightly stiffer and lower to help with center of gravity and MPG would be nice.

A couple of the "upgraded" struts I've seen like the Ranchos say they lift 1.2"-2.0". That's alright but I would rather drop an inch than go up an inch.

Looking on Rock Auto at the Struts there are A TON, 90% say "without police package" and I assume that is wrong in a bunch of circumstances, they are indeed interchangeable?

Looking at the following

Rancho Loaded quickLIFT #RS999928
Bilstein 5100 (adjustable!)
Bilstein 4600
Rancho 5000/9000
KYB?
ACDELCO Stock?

What do you all think? Suggest? I've seen people mention the Bilstein 5100 series, lets see some pics!!
Thanks!!

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only Monroe or AC-Delco makes police package strut and shock for Tahoe. I believe Monroe is the original supplier to AC-Delco for the strut and shock.

Rear: Monroe 907942
Front: Monroe 39106

spectralen

Reaction score
I'm thinking Belltech and Eibach also make replacements for the small fee of one arm and one leg.
If your not changing coil springs and the shocks are not the air shock type, new shocks should not change the ride heighth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Yea I was thinking about buying the AC delco Z71 Shocks for all four corners....I do see that monroe seems to be the only listed true supplier of the the "Police Package" but it blows my mind they dont have seperate part numbers for the SSV vs. the PPVs, the shocks should be different you would think for the different suspension packages.

NO ONE HAS ANY FEEDBACK ABOUT THE Bilstein 5100 Series Adjustable???

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
bummer.....need some help here....maybe should post this in the suspension section?

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
bought Bilstein 5100 series for my Tahoe...

jkssv08tahoe

Reaction score
bought Bilstein 5100 series for my Tahoe...

Did you ever get these on. Did they fit without any issues. This summer I want to redo all the Struts and shocks to make the ride better on my SSV. I am at 128k on my truck.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
I'm having a HELLUVA time getting lower strut springs seats, according to tech support at Bilstein "we made these to use the stock part". YET EVERY aftermarket or even AC Delco replacement has the seat welded on. Bilstein REALLY REALLY REALLY dropped the ball here, all for what $10 in stamped steel and four screws??? Ridiculous

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really trying to upgrade my suspension. I’m brand new to the PPV and hate the harsh ride. I’m not trying to make it into a Denali (even though that would be nice).

Whate shocks/struts and coil spring options well make it drive like the civian models without changing the ride height of the PPV? I’m going nuts feeling every bump in the road and feeling like my truck is falling apart.

I have a 2009 PPV with only 110k miles.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really trying to upgrade my suspension. I’m brand new to the PPV and hate the harsh ride. I’m not trying to make it into a Denali (even though that would be nice).

What shocks/struts and coil spring options will make it drive like the civian models without changing the ride height of the PPV? I’m going nuts feeling every bump in the road and feeling like my truck is falling apart.

I have a 2009 PPV with only 110k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons