want to supercharge but have questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samwilkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I'm wanting to cam and supercharge my 03 Tahoe with a 5.3. My questions are I have around 157,*** mile should I find a motor with lower miles or is there any thing I should change to make it safe. Also any ideas on a cam not wanting anything to radical I'm not trying to build it to drag. Also what would I need to do to the tranny I know I'll need a stall but will I need anything else? I have corvette servos already.. sorry about so many questions any help will be greatly appreciated..

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For the cam, it really is personal preference. Your best bet, is to call a cam company of your choice, tell them what you want out of it- high end, low end, lope etc; and have them recommend a grind.

I ran a 208/212 115LSA on my Tahoe with a Radix and headers. I did not want something with a lot of lope, and needed it to be reliable as a DD. Was a perfect cam for me.

You will also want to build around your stall, so you will want to figure that out first. Personally, I was good with the stock stall, but everyone is different.

If you give your engine a good once over and all is clear, you should be good to go. Otherwise, drop an LQ4 in there.

OP
OP
samwilkie

samwilkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Jenna for the pointers.....I wish I could have made it to get tuned this weekend in ATL..

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do these engines today handle aftermarket boost?

Last time I looked at forced induction was back in the late 90s when I had a Trans Am. Lots of problems with the fragile pistons, back then it was either upgrade to forged parts or plan on a rebuild.

Some club guys lost engines with the smallest kits (4.5lbs) on their stock internals, broken ring lands at the first round of pre detonation seemed to be the common theme.

Are the engines made to take a little boost from the factory today compared to what I saw 15 years ago?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These newer engines do great with boost. I DDd my 5.3l with 11lbs no problem.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a forged 408 with a maggie, and if I had it all to do over again I would have done twin turbos instead. My SC has been back to Magnusun twice in the first year and been nothing but a headache. Granted they took very good care of me when needed, I just want something I can DD with no issues. I'm only running 11psi, wanted to bump it to 15-17 but with the problems I have already had I am not going to risk it.

Everyone will have their own opinion but I like the power delivery of the SC over turbos but they are ******* the tranny and rear end since it is so abrupt. Turbos would be less wear and more forgiving since they build boost gradually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A