Want some suggestions btn Borla and Magnaflow muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2016 Tahoe LT and recently want to change the muffler on this truck.
I noticed a lot of you guys have recommended the Magnaflow 12259. However, I noticed there's also a Borla Pro XS 400482, which also seems to work and it has better material (304). The price of these two are similar (the Borla one is sometimes even cheaper).

I want the sound to be just a little louder than stock (not too loud), with low rumble sound. Especially no drone. (With occasional highway driving, the drone could really be a nightmare:Insane:)

Magnaflow is fairly nice to me, but I haven't seen many people tried the Pro XS, so I'm not sure which one is more suitable. Hope someone could give me some suggestions. Really appreciated!

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mean Borla and Magnaflow in your title? I had the magnaflow (with removed flapper) on my 2016 Tahoe LTZ and it was perfect. I added the corsa full catback and its MEAN loud. Too loud on cold start for me as a daily driver. Especially since i'm about to make some engine and header changes that will apparently make it crazy loud.

I would rec the Magnaflow.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the GM ‘approved’ one which if I recall is the borla. Apparently it’s slightly different than Borlas stock sport or touring versions.

It’s very quiet on the highway, nice low rumble at start up and will growl if you hit it hard. I have the 6.2L. I was super nervous about having a cheesy loud exhaust and the borla catback was JUST enough to dress up the sound but not make me look like a teenager

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the GM Borla Touring system. In my opinion, it is perfect. I have the 5.3, but will echo what cardude2000 said. Quiet on the highway, nice tone at startup and sounds mean only when I get on it and want to hear it. Would buy again if I had too.

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with Travis, and cardude, I also opted for the GM Borla setup with my new 2019 Tahoe Premier 5.3, and I also put in the GM Cold Air, the sound is wonderful, nice heavy rumble at cold start up, tame rumble when stopped at a light, and quiet when driving , but has the awesome growl if I get on it, and most of all NO drone at any rpm or even when it goes into AFM, as Trvis said, I would buy again if I had to, I'm VERY happy with it....

OP
OP
W

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for suggestions. But has anyone tried the Borla ProXS muffler? The sound of Borla Touring exhaust is pretty nice, but the price is a little bit too high (I mean, compared to only the muffler). Not sure if ProXS with stock resonator would be similar to Borla Touring.

Jon Pousette-Dart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2016 Tahoe LT and recently want to change the muffler on this truck.
I noticed a lot of you guys have recommended the Magnaflow 12259. However, I noticed there's also a Borla Pro XS 400482, which also seems to work and it has better material (304). The price of these two are similar (the Borla one is sometimes even cheaper).

I want the sound to be just a little louder than stock (not too loud), with low rumble sound. Especially no drone. (With occasional highway driving, the drone could really be a nightmare:Insane:)

Magnaflow is fairly nice to me, but I haven't seen many people tried the Pro XS, so I'm not sure which one is more suitable. Hope someone could give me some suggestions. Really appreciated!
Thank you all for suggestions. But has anyone tried the Borla ProXS muffler? The sound of Borla Touring exhaust is pretty nice, but the price is a little bit too high (I mean, compared to only the muffler). Not sure if ProXS with stock resonator would be similar to Borla Touring.
I have the Borla on the Tahoe RST. It is louder and on the hiway when you accelerate you know it's there. I'm ok with it, it is not near as quiet as stock, if that's your goal. Can't say much about whether it effects performance. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep