Want a Chevy Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the vehicle has a clean title (as opposed to a salvage or parts only title), why would there be a warranty block?

Good question. I’ve been into performance cars for a long time. 2 cases I have first hand knowledge of where one, most recent being a friend of mine, took his 14 vette he purchased used for warranty repair(pulley tensioner). At first all was fine until he got a call from the service rep that they’ll gladly do the service, but GM refuses to pay for it because the warranty was blocked a year earlier due to the previous owner having tuned the car. So during the previous owner’s time, he had taken it in to service for whatever reason and it was discovered that the car had long tubes, A&A and tune. My buddy bought the car with all mods, as is, so no complaints, but you pay for all else. The other was a Camaro a few years back that was swapped back to stock, traded in, and the buyer got screwed out of warranty because there was no way of knowing it was once tuned and then discovered by GM.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I’ve been into performance cars for a long time. 2 cases I have first hand knowledge of where one, most recent being a friend of mine, took his 14 vette he purchased used for warranty repair(pulley tensioner). At first all was fine until he got a call from the service rep that they’ll gladly do the service, but GM refuses to pay for it because the warranty was blocked a year earlier due to the previous owner having tuned the car. So during the previous owner’s time, he had taken it in to service for whatever reason and it was discovered that the car had long tubes, A&A and tune. My buddy bought the car with all mods, as is, so no complaints, but you pay for all else. The other was a Camaro a few years back that was swapped back to stock, traded in, and the buyer got screwed out of warranty because there was no way of knowing it was once tuned and then discovered by GM.
I think that depends on your dealer if they want to stick it on you or help you, some dealers go out the way to do anything to keep you happy buy some others make your life miserable.
[emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that depends on your dealer if they want to stick it on you or help you, some dealers go out the way to do anything to keep you happy buy some others make your life miserable.
[emoji849]

Absolutely agree as mine will turn a blind eye to just about anything, but if you’re buying it used and the warranty is already blocked by GM, not much you can do about it.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree as mine will turn a blind eye to just about anything, but if you’re buying it used and the warranty is already blocked by GM, not much you can do about it.
You are completely right that is crazy.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
We’re on our 2nd Denali XL AWD. In 06 they offered test drives to keep a SUV for the weekend. Told the wife it was free til Monday and her 1st Q was: is it too long for the garage? It fit because of a recent roll up garage door install.

She had recently been snubbed by her sisters who bought new Tahoes. As soon as she got the kid seats in the capt chairs, rear a/c on and kids fell asleep there was no pulling it from her grip. GM offered us several new Denali and Yukon’s but the wife wanted the test dive truck.

After flipping the story on the salesman and making it a price objection on her sisters Tahoe pricing, they caved. The orig sticker on the truck was $49k. They offered it with 500 miles at $36K, 5 yr/50k GM factory CPO warr and we qual’d for 0% fin. Damn good deal. Got two matching headset monitors w/ a TV Tuner + DVD for $2h at Circuit City going out of buss sale and ... happy wife, happy life.

Sold it like wildfire just before gas prices spiked for $36k two years later to a reseller who flipped it for $42 because of the transferable 5yr factory warranty w/ 3 years left. Fast forward six years to 2014. Couldn’t find a clean 06. 07 & 08 were $25-$30 depending on mileage. 09-14 were priced insanely.

Found an 07 & 08 at opposite ends of our home, 150 miles either way in 2014. There was nothing but junk or full retail After the new body styles came out the suckers really held their value. Those long drive for a deal stories are true. We wanted a Med mileage 07/08 Denali XL LOADED. After expanding our search area to 150 miles the right truck showed up.

The cream puff was an 08 on chrome 20’s fully optioned and only missing retractable running boards lol. It was at a rural Dodge dealership where we could tell GMC was hated by all the locals. It was all work trucks, lift kits and hard core diesel territory. We got the truck for $19.5k @ 96k mi + $3.7k for service contract (S/C) for 48k mi/48 mo.

It was so unloved the dealership left all the owners old trade in ppwk and pink slip in the glovebox WITH the trade in value of $16.5k toward the past (1) owner’s new truck. The dealer had dropped the price 5k by the time we got it. Yea, we eventually told the biatchy DMV clerk at the Dlr we had found the pink slip and xfer ppwk that morning she called. I felt no remorse for hanging onto the ppwk as she was so unpleasant to us. Our salesman was XLNT though.

Once again, 2.9% financing from our Credit Union gave us $378 mo pymnts for 6 yrs. We have bumper to bumper drivetrain, electrical & suspension coverage til 4-13-19 or 139,600 miles. The S/C has paid out over $1k what we paid for it all with GMC dealer parts & labor. This 08 w/ the 6.2L is amazing. We’ve had nothing but great experiences from both our Denali XL.

New is nice til your factory warranty leaves. Preloved CPO extends the honeymoon for no cost bumper to bumper care for less money. Preloved, out of warr from a dealer with a S/C or exclusive GM/Chevy coverage can leave you with $40k in your pocket. We took the $40K in the pocket option on our loaded, one owner vehicle. Spent $1k on 100,000 mi major service but we’re $1k (and climbing) ahead of the $3.7k purchase price of the S/C. Until April 2019 our out of pocket costs can only go down. I’m sure our fuel pump is in the Fritz soon. Yea, that’s covered too. G/L with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends. These GM’s seem to depreciate like rocks but if you can get 20% off on a 2018, that will at least flatten the depreciation curve a bit. Then if you hold 5 or more years, your cost of ownership becomes more reasonable. Around my area, I see lots of 1 year old former rentals or trade-ins going for stupid list prices. Makes zero sense, but I assume there is lots of negotiation room on those too.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re on our 2nd Denali XL AWD. In 06 they offered test drives to keep a SUV for the weekend. Told the wife it was free til Monday and her 1st Q was: is it too long for the garage? It fit because of a recent roll up garage door install.

She had recently been snubbed by her sisters who bought new Tahoes. As soon as she got the kid seats in the capt chairs, rear a/c on and kids fell asleep there was no pulling it from her grip. GM offered us several new Denali and Yukon’s but the wife wanted the test dive truck.

After flipping the story on the salesman and making it a price objection on her sisters Tahoe pricing, they caved. The orig sticker on the truck was $49k. They offered it with 500 miles at $36K, 5 yr/50k GM factory CPO warr and we qual’d for 0% fin. Damn good deal. Got two matching headset monitors w/ a TV Tuner + DVD for $2h at Circuit City going out of buss sale and ... happy wife, happy life.

Sold it like wildfire just before gas prices spiked for $36k two years later to a reseller who flipped it for $42 because of the transferable 5yr factory warranty w/ 3 years left. Fast forward six years to 2014. Couldn’t find a clean 06. 07 & 08 were $25-$30 depending on mileage. 09-14 were priced insanely.

Found an 07 & 08 at opposite ends of our home, 150 miles either way in 2014. There was nothing but junk or full retail After the new body styles came out the suckers really held their value. Those long drive for a deal stories are true. We wanted a Med mileage 07/08 Denali XL LOADED. After expanding our search area to 150 miles the right truck showed up.

The cream puff was an 08 on chrome 20’s fully optioned and only missing retractable running boards lol. It was at a rural Dodge dealership where we could tell GMC was hated by all the locals. It was all work trucks, lift kits and hard core diesel territory. We got the truck for $19.5k @ 96k mi + $3.7k for service contract (S/C) for 48k mi/48 mo.

It was so unloved the dealership left all the owners old trade in ppwk and pink slip in the glovebox WITH the trade in value of $16.5k toward the past (1) owner’s new truck. The dealer had dropped the price 5k by the time we got it. Yea, we eventually told the biatchy DMV clerk at the Dlr we had found the pink slip and xfer ppwk that morning she called. I felt no remorse for hanging onto the ppwk as she was so unpleasant to us. Our salesman was XLNT though.

Once again, 2.9% financing from our Credit Union gave us $378 mo pymnts for 6 yrs. We have bumper to bumper drivetrain, electrical & suspension coverage til 4-13-19 or 139,600 miles. The S/C has paid out over $1k what we paid for it all with GMC dealer parts & labor. This 08 w/ the 6.2L is amazing. We’ve had nothing but great experiences from both our Denali XL.

New is nice til your factory warranty leaves. Preloved CPO extends the honeymoon for no cost bumper to bumper care for less money. Preloved, out of warr from a dealer with a S/C or exclusive GM/Chevy coverage can leave you with $40k in your pocket. We took the $40K in the pocket option on our loaded, one owner vehicle. Spent $1k on 100,000 mi major service but we’re $1k (and climbing) ahead of the $3.7k purchase price of the S/C. Until April 2019 our out of pocket costs can only go down. I’m sure our fuel pump is in the Fritz soon. Yea, that’s covered too. G/L with whatever you choose.

You typed this whole thing from your iPhone? lol, that's impressive.

29tomt

Reaction score
Hey everyone . I want to get a Chevy Tahoe thinking about financing it . Do you think it’s better to get it brand new out the box or get a precertified vehicle . Maybe a 2016 . Just some opinions?

These vehicles have a lot of markup and depreciation. So, it is cost of vehicle, insurance, financing. Divided on how long you plan to keep it. I am a low risk person and with these electronics they put on them now, I add vehicle warranty extension into the equation if not new. The main thing is that you walk away with the vehicle you want to keep for a good while and with a feeling that you got a decent deal. A dealer tradein is good if purchased from a GM dealer as they will have service records.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Learning all the B.B. codes too. My PC currently has a bad component. As long as it’s not a mother board, I’ll salvage it. After getting into our toshiba flat screen and slapping in a pre loved backlight inverter board, I’m on a roll.

You typed this whole thing from your iPhone? lol, that's impressive.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone . I want to get a Chevy Tahoe thinking about financing it . Do you think it’s better to get it brand new out the box or get a precertified vehicle . Maybe a 2016 . Just some opinions?

Completely depends on how picky and patient you are.

I am picky so I had to order a new one to get the exact options I wanted. Other cars I buy I have a car auction guy buy for me. I never buy anything with >10k miles or >1 model year old. Usually save at least 20% off msrp and the vehicles are essentially brand new.

As others mentioned these depreciate a lot so if you buy new and worry about resale, make sure to get a good deal (15%+ off msrp).

Good luck and have fun searching!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons