volant air scoop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am too old to think that far back!

I never ran scoops with the Radix, all our data we take from customer vehicles on the dyno.

All I am saying, is that there is no bang for the buck in running an extra scoop or ram air. But to each their own, folks still buy aftermarket MAFs and throttle body spacers too!

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I doubt that.

Agreed. Got mine for $50 from Volant as keeping IAT's down seems to be the biggest battle with the MP112, and if it didn't work, it was only $50. Wouldn't have paid $125 or however much they cost retail for it.

IIRC, at about 75* outside, my IAT's cruising was 97 and after a 7 second WOT run, 114. Most Radix IAT's I see start at about 110 cruising and end up north of 150 at the end of a run. I have a bigger h/e so that is definitely a difference maker, but bigger h/e's seem to make more of a difference in recovery times rather than lowering IAT's (again, from what I have read on truck and Mercedes forums, as the E55's, CL55's etc. use the same MP112 blower).

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So you aren't using the Magnacharger intake tube? I used that with an AEM filter on the end, never had IAT problems. I will say though, I didn't live in Houston, so our heat probably was never as high as yours.

I had the H/E on mine as well. We never saw any IAT issues on any of our vehicles, although the other two run TVSs.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the Volant scoop into the volant box through the Magnacharger intake tube.

I have the Magnacharger CTS-V heat exchanger, which is dimensionally twice as big as the stock truck h/e that comes with the kit. Looks like this:

P1040724.jpg

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, same exchanger I had on mine, although we are running the stockers on the truck and the TBSS. I was running an open element rather than a closed box on the Tahoe- we traditionally see better IATs with open elements.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! You see a big difference in IAT's on the truck and TBSS from the Tahoe? I keep hearing that the TVS doesn't generate as much heat.

Interesting. I'll have to pull the lid off my Volant cai next time Wheatley is tweaking and see if the iat's come down.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That may make a difference, but it is the way the box is letting the air in too. The AEM I had, wasn't as "closed off".

Not sure if that makes sense or not, so here is a graphical description of what I am trying to say:

The boxed is totally closed off here, only allows air in at certain points.

images

Here air pretty much comes in from all over.

ROvWG4GD2Fo6sM8QYJR0_CRMJ9w5s4ibMhK3pV1QoQq_1TwUMj.jpg

Last edited:

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the design of the open element compared to the volant, but since I don't have access to an AEM without buying one and installing it, figured I could get some of the way there by just pulling the lid off. Not scientific, but it's free and entertains my curiosity.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I figured you did, but it was more for other folks that may come across this thread. You have no idea how many people ask for the difference between open and closed element.

Just not sure how the air movement is over the top of the box, that would be my biggest question on yours. Doesn't hurt to try it either way though.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how much clearance there is between the lip of the top of the box and the hood. Might not be enough to draw any significant air, but I'll give it a shot and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb