Vin Etching: A Pretty Good Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I pulled a hatch glass of off a 2002 Escalade in my local pick and pull yard, to replace a hatch that was starting to have lift support separation. The 2002 esky hatch has the VIN of the truck it came off of, etched into the glass. I never knew it was a thing until I saw that.

Reaction score
I remember seeing dealers doing this back in the '90s. I always wondered how big of a problem stolen glass was, lol.

Now my 95 mustang came from the factory with these hard to remove stickers with the VIN/barcode on it placed inconspicuously on every body panel

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Our 07 Beetle Vert was purchased used. It has VIN etching and stickers on the glass warning of it. The selling dealer tried to charge me for it again when the previous owner had already paid for it.

I’ve never seen an F&I guy get so nervous when I asked why he was charging me for something his last customer had already paid for listed as “VIN Identifier Plus”. He was as white as a sheet and got all sweaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick