Vibration in Sterring Wheel at 70+ mph / want a smoother ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

301tennis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had my 10' Tahoe LT for over 2 years now. I bought new tires about 6 months ago thinking it would solve the vibration i felt in the steering wheel at higher speeds. For the most part it did but i feel like it’s still there. Can also feel it in the floor at times. Has or does anyone else experience these issues with their Hoe's? If so what have you done to fix it or is there nothing that can be done about it.

Also, I have been in luxury suvs that ride very very smooth. I understand my Hoe isn't a Lexus or Benz but it still sells for 50k brand new. I feel like for the most part, its rides pretty smooth up to 70+ mph. But below 70 mph i don't think it swallows bumps like it should. Not necessarily bouncy but maybe stiff?? What can i do to smooth it out? I do a lot of highway driving and want to feel as comfortable as possible while i drive. Is this a suspension problem, strut problem, springs?? I run 32 psi on the tires and i live in the DMV area which doesn't have the best roads. This is my second post so i am kind of new to this. Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Attachments

• tahoe 3.jpg
    tahoe 3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure your wheels are balanced well. Some Smaller shops don't have the best Equiptment. Also bend in wheels will make it vibrate. But given the picture of your car, it seems unlikely to bend a wheel when you have that much tire...

Also check the speed rating of your tires

OP
OP

301tennis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when i got the new tires from dealer they balanced them, gave me an alignment and said good luck. So i took it to another dealer and they said they put too many weights on them and to have them rebalance them. maybe that will work? I have Michelin LTX M/S P265/70R17.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

did i post this thread in the right section? Any help with smoothness of ride??

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For this class of SUV the suspension is pretty good for everyday driving. If you want more compliance, IMO a change in struts/shocks would be the way to go. Go to a suspension shop and discuss what you want. I have heard Bilstien 5100s are pretty plush, but I have had no direct experience with them. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24