Strange vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally have the chance to better check this out after a few weeks. I do have new u-joints to swap in, but I'm not so sure that's actually the issue. The current ones all feel tight. The play though I had noted at the drivers side output of the front axle where the CV shaft attaches seems to have increased, and I do also have a leak at the shaft seal. I'm not really sure what the issue with this would be. I changed the seal and the needle bearing on that side last fall because it seemed like there was a leak there. It does also seem like there's some abnormal noise from the front end when I drive with 4wd engaged (noticed that earlier this week).

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So pulled the rear driveshaft down. The u-joint at the rear axle was actually bound up pretty good. It moved like it had detents inside the bearing caps. So this very well may have been the source of the vibration. Not sure what to think about the front axle though.

Attachments

• 20231103_165029.jpg
    20231103_165029.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So pulled the rear driveshaft down. The u-joint at the rear axle was actually bound up pretty good. It moved like it had detents inside the bearing caps. So this very well may have been the source of the vibration. Not sure what to think about the front axle though.
If it was not smooth and felt like it had detents/flat spots, you have definitely found "A" problem and may be the only problem but will need to replace the joint and road test. One thing to remember, is that if you feel it by your hand, imagine what it is going thru under a load condition.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet yea I'll have it back together tomorrow and will see how it feels. But yea very true. I'm just surprised it didn't vibrate at lower speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts