Vibration at 40-55 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different tires cause different issues to show. I had bridgestones and no shake. Brought new tires nitto 421q and Shake appeared. Road forced balanced to death at different shops. Shake would move into different mph ranges. End result it ended up being a ball joint. Now I am chasing a different vibration with different tires. It never ends.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discount was balancing your tires wrong i know this because i did the same thing myself
once to my truck when i first learned how to use the balancing machine i mounted the tire on the machine wrong wich you will be able to get it balanced it mite take extra weight but it ll definatly be off balance when you get it on your vehicle
or they just sold you a defective set of tires were bad right from the factory , used old weights so when you drove around some fell off,

i bought a new set from discount once for atruck i previously owned i noticed on my way home they felt a little funny at 45 and when i pulled in the driveway i noticed all the outsideweights fell off ive also had big O install tires with the direction of travel backwards

so dont rule out the tires as the culprit because you went to a big place like discount or big O or whatever

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience with this tire's could never have caused this problem. The rumbling shudder would happen only under specific engine load and speed, 52-60 mph with light throttle. The was the most frustrating thing about it was shops kept saying it was my tires even though they were rotated several times and different sets. One 10 minute ride from a transmission guy identified the issues, he knew it right away.

TheYukonDon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a minute. I have an 01 Yukon Denali XL and My truck just started doing this around 65-70 mph. Now, my front transfer is leaking and I'm having the reset as I had that rebuilt 7months ago. The. Ivration is super annoying.

TheYukonDon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes and yes. I don't think that the leaking xfer(which is being fixed today under warranty) is related to shudder/vibration after reading this thread. I could be wrong. I asked the mechanic to check it out. My original question should have been what causes this, how is it fixed, and is it a relatively easy, cheap fix? Torque converter to me sounds bad and expensive.

TheYukonDon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, got word back from AAMCO. My mechanic said what some posted earlier: U joint on driveshaft was worn as the ring was allowing the drips and causing the vibration at high speeds. Said it would be under $300 for the fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe