VHT Nightshades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people are so emotional about a can of paint??
It is possible to get it glossy looking out of the can but difficult and if you get any orange peel or dullness, the next coat will look worse. The stuff dries really fast which is part of the problem. It is, however, entirely possible to get a good result with clearcoat and patience. This product is no different than any other paint so i'm not sure why its getting such a bad rap...it's in its application not the product. Try painting a car with a spray can...not easy to get a good result. Even with a gun, it's hard and it needs clear on top to seal it and look good. Like I said earlier, I have done many taillights with this stuff and they have all turned out good and lasted years (I've never noticed any fading at all). Yes, you do need to wet sand sometimes and prep but I don't think you should tell people it is impossible and only a shop can do it...that's ********. I don't really care if anyone believes it. If you aren't able to do it then whatever...I'm no magic man but if you are good with your hands and have a bit of experience you should be able to do this. Most people can't tile their own floor, doesn't mean you need to hire someone to do it.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Don't go get them done professional tint shops around here paint/film tails and charge $80+ a light... Just recently started buying tint film for tails on ebay its the best quality you can get $8 for a 48"x12" film

4a5abc83-c349-41ca.jpg

My buddy's BMW we did

4a5abc83-c3ad-c231.jpg

My tails candy red tinted with one film looks like glass easy to install $8

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only ever painted smooth lights.
I've also never had an unhappy customer and all my business is by word of mouth.
Send me a spare set of some lights you want painted and money to return ship and i'll try and make you a believer :p

If I had an extra set of lights I would take you up on the offer. There is no way you can get paint to stick to tail lights without prep.

I don't get why people are so emotional about a can of paint??
It is possible to get it glossy looking out of the can but difficult and if you get any orange peel or dullness, the next coat will look worse. The stuff dries really fast which is part of the problem. It is, however, entirely possible to get a good result with clearcoat and patience. This product is no different than any other paint so i'm not sure why its getting such a bad rap...it's in its application not the product. Try painting a car with a spray can...not easy to get a good result. Even with a gun, it's hard and it needs clear on top to seal it and look good. Like I said earlier, I have done many taillights with this stuff and they have all turned out good and lasted years (I've never noticed any fading at all). Yes, you do need to wet sand sometimes and prep but I don't think you should tell people it is impossible and only a shop can do it...that's ********. I don't really care if anyone believes it. If you aren't able to do it then whatever...I'm no magic man but if you are good with your hands and have a bit of experience you should be able to do this. Most people can't tile their own floor, doesn't mean you need to hire someone to do it.

You sir need to pay more attention, no one is mad at a can of paint, the problem comes in when claims are made that there is no prep or that it can give the same finish as a paint gun. The stuff is junk which I suppose is as subjective as you saying that the VHT "turned out good".

Most people can't tile their own floor, doesn't mean you need to hire someone to do it.

This is the dumbest analogy that could have used, of course if you can't tile your own floor you should hire someone who can or at very least get someone who knows how to help you.

OP
OP
Regency

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't go get them done professional tint shops around here paint/film tails and charge $80+ a light... Just recently started buying tint film for tails on ebay its the best quality you can get $8 for a 48"x12" film

4a5abc83-c349-41ca.jpg

My buddy's BMW we did

4a5abc83-c3ad-c231.jpg

My tails candy red tinted with one film looks like glass easy to install $8

Yeah I bought a roll from rvinyl and the kit looks super easy glad to hear that

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
I brought mine from a member on here. LED tails that are professionally painted. Look awesome and when compared to oem's I had that were vht painted, there was no comparision. But in the end, its your truck, your money, and you make the decision on what you want to do.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had an extra set of lights I would take you up on the offer. There is no way you can get paint to stick to tail lights without prep.

You sir need to pay more attention, no one is mad at a can of paint, the problem comes in when claims are made that there is no prep or that it can give the same finish as a paint gun. The stuff is junk which I suppose is as subjective as you saying that the VHT "turned out good".

This is the dumbest analogy that could have used, of course if you can't tile your own floor you should hire someone who can or at very least get someone who knows how to help you.

You sir, need to chill out. You don't like the product? Don't use it. Can't use it properly? Don't use it but lets relax with the arrogant condescending comments when I'm just trying to be helpful. Not everyone has or wants to shell out $150+ to tint their tails.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sir, need to chill out. You don't like the product? Don't use it. Can't use it properly? Don't use it but lets relax with the arrogant condescending comments when I'm just trying to be helpful. Not everyone has or wants to shell out $150+ to tint their tails.

I do not use it so that solves that problem. Can't use it properly? I guess no one in the world can use it properly except the 2 of you. How can I not make arrogant condescending remarks when you use an analogy that makes absolutely no sense. So you would rather people ruin a set of tail lights by using VHT then spend the extra money to have someone use actual quality products and give them a quality job that will last? I will take everything back if you guys can give some proof to refute every other persons statement that the stuff is junk.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not use it so that solves that problem. Can't use it properly? I guess no one in the world can use it properly except the 2 of you. How can I not make arrogant condescending remarks when you use an analogy that makes absolutely no sense. So you would rather people ruin a set of tail lights by using VHT then spend the extra money to have someone use actual quality products and give them a quality job that will last? I will take everything back if you guys can give some proof to refute every other persons statement that the stuff is junk.

You win bud!