Used prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get the vehicle home? Did you look at it first or do it sight unseen? I live in WI and have often wanted to buy a southern rust free but seems like a pain.
Had a local stop by and look at it and drive it. Paid $4K sight unseen by me. Used a CC with a 0% interest promo. Dealer didn't tack anything on for that, only their normal documentation fee.. Paid $1,500 to have it hauled across country. No rust anywhere. No major issues I've found so far. Starts easy, runs and drives smooth. Inspections have been good. Bunch of minor headachey type stuff, all small dollar.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was talking with my neighbor yesterday who is a buyer for Carmax. He says that the large SUVs crossing the auction block are still mostly going "no sale" just like they were a month ago. So even though the prices in the rest of the known universe have gotten better, they're still not as low as they're about to be. Late fall will be an excellent time to buy a car, I predict - especially a luxury SUV.

Doesn't Carmax limit their used car purchases to 5 years old?

Also, they're "no haggle" price is pretty steep.

Sounds like Carmax is pricing their big SUV's right out of their stores....can't imagine what they are asking.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Carmax limit their used car purchases to 5 years old?
Nosiree. They have several vehicles older than 5 years in our area.
Also, they're "no haggle" price is pretty steep.
Agreed. But they give a return guarantee and a small warranty, so that’s worth something. And it’s a truly hassle-free experience.
Sounds like Carmax is pricing their big SUV's right out of their stores....can't imagine what they are asking.
That’s what I’m saying - they’re not buying much, if any, new large SUV stock at the current prices.

lightflyer1

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 Tahoe with an engine tick for $3k. Everything else was good. Got it home and rebuilt the top end and installed a DOD OBD2 block. Much cheaper than anything else and is pretty good condition at this point. About $2k to rebuild.

lightflyer1

Reaction score
As an extra, I have had no experience with this year model. Only 1999 and before. Pretty easy engine to work on in my opinion. Got quotes from places that would only do a swap with used or rebuilt. No one wanted to try and fix what was there. Quotes were in the $8k plus range depending on used or rebuilt. Got lucky the cam wasn't trashed. Left it in and redid everything stock OEM. Trying to learn how to scan and see faults and running data was the hardest. Turned out in the end it also needed new injectors. Runs like new now but V8 all the time.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an extra, I have had no experience with this year model. Only 1999 and before. Pretty easy engine to work on in my opinion. Got quotes from places that would only do a swap with used or rebuilt. No one wanted to try and fix what was there. Quotes were in the $8k plus range depending on used or rebuilt. Got lucky the cam wasn't trashed. Left it in and redid everything stock OEM. Trying to learn how to scan and see faults and running data was the hardest. Turned out in the end it also needed new injectors. Runs like new now but V8 all the time.

this is definitely the best way to do it if you can. sadly no shop wants to repair engines anymore. it's much faster and easier for them to throw in a 10k$ engine than take a look at what's broken first.

deals are definitely to be had but you also got lucky. most people with a tick either get it fixed or drive it till it damages everything because it costs more than it's worth once it's ticking to a normal buyer. so they drive till it doesn't go anymore.

enjoy it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’d love to know if it’s possible to swap the 6L80 for a newer 10 SP. My milage would love me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robyagle