Upgraded from a 2008 Denali to a 2009 Eski

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ahhh, San Bernardo Mtn nostalgia circa 1993 ...

A day that should of been sold out at Big Bear back in 1993. I was doing my apprenticeship w/ Local 250 with a refrigeration company named Hussman out of Chino. Being turned out as a newb in the field, I scored and discovered an unwanted Ford short bed, service bin truck w/ a 460 big block (shh, and A/C!). The hot ticket back then was the newest Ford van possible from the bone yard because you stocked every crevice with parts for midnight service calls at Lucky’s or Fedco. Back in the 90’s only mgmt had a/c in their Co trucks.

My newb buddy who was formerly a plumber discovered the only Dodge van in the bone yard and its car like 80’s ride. Greg, with his former shady plumber wisdom, discovered every unwanted, midnight maint supermarket job was a free ticket to Snow Summit or Big Bear. Starting our shift at 11pm we arrive at the job. Gelson’s was the preferred store. Why? Because we were locked in the market from 11pm to 6am with the cleaning crew to service the A/C when it’s shut down. Oh yea, it’s all overtime too. Did I mention the amazing service deli Gelson’s has (burp!)?

Eight to ten hours of overtime completed, we’re let out of the locked store, it freezing outside, it’s sunrise, we call into dispatch we’re done for the day and we have our apprenticeship classes that night in downtown LA. Que up Mission Impossible music here. We take all of our snow gear out of the Dodge van, tie the skis onto the headache rack of the Ford service bin truck and head for Snow Summit from LA in our Hussman serviceman uniforms after local mountains are dusted with powder the previous night. The Ford’s insulated, enclosed cab with no creaking or parts flying around in back means we’re warm and the drive is free.

Again, it’s 1993, we arrive at Snow Summit and it’s all overflow parking. It’s packed. The lot guy flags us down and we think we’re busted somehow. He runs at us and says ... thank God! You’re here! Go park up front of the resort. In stunned silence we acknowledge him and obey with ear to ear grin. Five min later we walk from the heated bathrooms like Clark Kent from dirty servicemen uniforms to ski bibs. Free VIP parking and it’s so frick’n busy. Some dude says have a nice day. Like magic, he and his buddy unpeeled their lift passes off their jackets and hand them to us. We take our funds budgeted for lift tickets to the bar and prepare for the slopes.

All day, ski, eat, drink, warm up, repeat. The session is ending, now it’s a quick 2.5 hr drive to LA, get back to Gelson’s parking lot and conceal skis, snow gear and pay (this time) for a Gelson’s freshly cooked, buffet of turkey, sweet potatoes, potatoes & gravy, cran sauce, etc. We have 30 minutes to arrive at the apprenticeship training facility in downtown LA.

Mission completed, Greg & I arrive to meet our 20-30 other appreciate buddys at the training center. There’s silence and staring as we walk into the building. Are we busted?

b55e325a63246aa708ad59cce4618920.jpg50f46b2ad430a72ec72e83cfe2600afd.jpg

Sorry no cell phone selfie’s in 93 but you get the idea.

We hold straight faced, lying through our teeth, deniability about our whereabouts and actually earn respect for pulling it off.

Moral of the story: Have no regrets. Call in with Covid. Grab a buddy or the wife & kids. Ski, snowboard, sled. Isolate afterwards to be sure you’re well. Do it again the next day or change it up with fishing poles while isolating. Return back to work like a liar with pants on fire. Make the most of every day and take that dead end job, even if temporary, so you can have that Fletch Lives movie memory.

b1c10244fda70b013faafde5e8ee64e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, San Bernardo Mtn nostalgia circa 1993 ...

A day that should of been sold out at Big Bear back in 1993. I was doing my apprenticeship w/ Local 250 with a refrigeration company named Hussman out of Chino. Being turned out as a newb in the field, I scored and discovered an unwanted Ford short bed, service bin truck w/ a 460 big block (shh, and A/C!). The hot ticket back then was the newest Ford van possible from the bone yard because you stocked every crevice with parts for midnight service calls at Lucky’s or Fedco. Back in the 90’s only mgmt had a/c in their Co trucks.

My newb buddy who was formerly a plumber discovered the only Dodge van in the bone yard and its car like 80’s ride. Greg, with his former shady plumber wisdom, discovered every unwanted, midnight maint supermarket job was a free ticket to Snow Summit or Big Bear. Starting our shift at 11pm we arrive at the job. Gelson’s was the preferred store. Why? Because we were locked in the market from 11pm to 6am with the cleaning crew to service the A/C when it’s shut down. Oh yea, it’s all overtime too. Did I mention the amazing service deli Gelson’s has (burp!)?

Eight to ten hours of overtime completed, we’re let out of the locked store, it freezing outside, it’s sunrise, we call into dispatch we’re done for the day and we have our apprenticeship classes that night in downtown LA. Que up Mission Impossible music here. We take all of our snow gear out of the Dodge van, tie the skis onto the headache rack of the Ford service bin truck and head for Snow Summit from LA in our Hussman serviceman uniforms after local mountains are dusted with powder the previous night. The Ford’s insulated, enclosed cab with no creaking or parts flying around in back means we’re warm and the drive is free.

Again, it’s 1993, we arrive at Snow Summit and it’s all overflow parking. It’s packed. The lot guy flags us down and we think we’re busted somehow. He runs at us and says ... thank God! You’re here! Go park up front of the resort. In stunned silence we acknowledge him and obey with ear to ear grin. Five min later we walk from the heated bathrooms like Clark Kent from dirty servicemen uniforms to ski bibs. Free VIP parking and it’s so frick’n busy. Some dude says have a nice day. Like magic, he and his buddy unpeeled their lift passes off their jackets and hand them to us. We take our funds budgeted for lift tickets to the bar and prepare for the slopes.

All day, ski, eat, drink, warm up, repeat. The session is ending, now it’s a quick 2.5 hr drive to LA, get back to Gelson’s parking lot and conceal skis, snow gear and pay (this time) for a Gelson’s freshly cooked, buffet of turkey, sweet potatoes, potatoes & gravy, cran sauce, etc. We have 30 minutes to arrive at the apprenticeship training facility in downtown LA.

Mission completed, Greg & I arrive to meet our 20-30 other appreciate buddys at the training center. There’s silence and staring as we walk into the building. Are we busted?

Sorry no cell phone selfie’s in 93 but you get the idea.

We hold straight faced, lying through our teeth, deniability about our whereabouts and actually earn respect for pulling it off.

Moral of the story: Have no regrets. Call in with Covid. Grab a buddy or the wife & kids. Ski, snowboard, sled. Isolate afterwards to be sure you’re well. Do it again the next day or change it up with fishing poles while isolating. Return back to work like a liar with pants on fire. Make the most of every day and take that dead end job, even if temporary, so you can have that Fletch Lives movie memory.

That is very 90s for sure!! Love it! Hahaha.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There's been a little buzz about that CTS V Brembo big brake caliper kit from CTSVBrake Swap dot com. As I type I just ordered the banjo bolts to complete the list of parts needed for the swap. The final price of all needed parts for the kit was $1442.74 to the door. The CTS v calipers are massive. I'll post pics later.

The Brembo kits that are bolt on with a brembo adapter. they use a slightly smaller disc and you're into over $4K for smaller calipers.

$195.00 Caliper carrier / adapter kit.
$170 ($85.00 x 2) 16" OEM each shipped (2) Centric Rotors 120621.80
$994 Shipped New (for both) GM / OEM Brembo 09-13 Corvette ZR1 Front 6 Piston Brake $66.68 Shipped (for both) POWER STOP Z231405 (Premium) Z23 Evolution Sport; Carbon Fiber-Ceramic w/ Hardware
$17.06 shipped (for both) Caliper Bolt to Hose Dorman 14100

I use the Escalade as a daily so I'm not in a hurry to install the kit. The calipers are silver and I'm going to have them power coated yellow and then clear power coated. Why? I hate painting calipers. Once these are p/c they'll look like wet, fresh paint for at least a decade.

I took almost three months for the Centric rotors to come in from Buybrakes.com (Stoptech). Covid hit their supplier and back ordered the hell out of them.

I just completed the second oil change at the Indi shop when the replacement rim was installed. I've already ticked over 140K miles since purchased last Feb. The first registration came due. It's $241. That's cheap for a SUV in CA. AAA Insurance rolled out its third rebate since Covid due to reduced driving here in the States. They're a stand up company.

The 5V device to use the optical out port from the Bose A2DP into the new SuperNav works flawlessly. It's immediately apparent that the XM unit GM supplied provides 2 ch audio. When using the aux in with the Bose BT A2DP it's 4 ch on the same XM app sent via BT into the head unit.

I still have to ...

* New antenna needs installing. It may be causing a code with the OnStar reception and the red light on the mirror. OnStar is active and working on the 2012-14 CF card SuperNav head unit that replaced the OEM DVD drive SuperNav. This is one of the best maintenance related upgrades to date.

* 2011 OnStar VIM from another Esky ESV Platinum needs diagnosis. It won't communicate or get BT to work. The weather feature doesn't communicate data to the head unit. The traffic feature works perfectly though. I'll have to replace the bad antenna to move forward on this.

* NOS plastic front dash panel. It's cracked. The A pillars need to be pulled to do this. The A pillars also need to be pulled to install the new antenna. The A pillars also need to be recovered or re-glued at an Upholstery shop. I'll have to take care of all three of these at the same time so I can move on to the OnStar issue.

* SuperNav USB input. I've not been able to connect any devices to the head unit the via USB cord. This goes for the Bose A2DP adapter as well. I'm doing what others have done and using the front Aux input until I can determine what's cooking.

* Rear main seal. Soon I'll have to let the Indi tech loose on it. It's making a mess. The oil pressure sensor is died too. Feels like I lost a motor mount or a sway bar bushing died. There's a little movement in the drivetrain when taking off. I sure very soon I'll be having the trans serviced because it'll be out for the rear main which means all the motor mounts will get done too. Then there's still the issue of the check engine light due to something emissions related. Meh, one thing at a time.

* Magneride. All four are blown. At 140K mi I expect this. I need to make a call out to Arnott and chat. I want to see if they have any updates in the z95 / z55 products before I order a set. I'll be purchasing one of their compressors w/ auto shut off too.

The mileage is up to almost 12 MPG since the temp dropped to 38-50* most days. Making the move over to the Esky to get the L9H, cooled seats and an instant remedy for the peeling clearcoat and cracked dash was well worth the drive to TX. The LED headlights vs the Denali units is unmatched.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The BBK upgrade coming down the road for the Escalade. It's not a wide angle lens and that is a dollar bill at the base. These 6 pot calipers are massive even on 16" rotors.

This is a clone of the 5JL Brembo BBK upgrade GM made for 15-20 full size GM trucks.

Vette Brakes.JPG

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BBK upgrade coming down the road for the Escalade. It's not a wide angle lens and that is a dollar bill at the base. These 6 pot calipers are massive even on 16" rotors.

This is a clone of the 5JL Brembo BBK upgrade GM made for 15-20 full size GM trucks.

View attachment 270067
Holy Big Brake Kit Batman!! That’s ginormous!

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Great day! Just discovered that a gas station owner right in the middle of South Orange County added e85 to its line up.

This means goodbye to Costco great pricing on 91 Premium which is $3.80 gal and hello to $2.49 e85 gal as of today. A buck thirty one less is a frick’n gift. The 91 octane at this station is $4.19 gal!! When it preforms like you just did a cam swap to give more hp, there’s no better words than I [emoji3590] e85.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Wow, a year this month since the OEM Navi/Radio replacement was sourced, VIN coded and installed. I’ve stuck to my past history that if I plan to take something apart or repair it, make sure it gets done in a day.

Using this Esky as a daily means planned projects have gotten backed up. The majority of the OnStar issue to upgrade its VCIM is handled. Found a 2011 VCIM from a wrecked, white ESV. Pulled the OEM 09 BT VCIM and swap’d em out.

09 has 3 Fakra connectors on the Continental / VDO VCIM so a wye splitter was used to tie in the BT antenna on the 2 Fakra LG unit (below)

a0daa5ddd4b2e88046b00f996695b7e8.jpg

Pulled the 09 VCIM out after the Navi was removed...

a9dd071e163095be00be401ccdd50a4e.jpg

Installed the 2011 unit and the Fakra splitter to the BT antenna...

cb92a46e8310072b17627f4285c09b5f.jpg

Put it all back together and ... it’s up and running. The BT and speech recognition isn’t as glitchy and OnStar happily provided a 90 day trial with 60 minutes added to the OnStar cell acct. D/L the app to the cell and all the 2011 features are in the 09 Esky. Download directions from the cell to the trucks Navi are seamless.

c4ed0142fc9aff45eb1f8c4a1ce13cdb.jpg

The only thing I don’t see is where others have mentioned they can read their fuel gauge from the Caddy App.

Any other Esky owners 2010> have this on the phone app?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
* New antenna needs installing. It may be causing a code with the OnStar reception and the red light on the mirror.

Replacing the roof antenna will likely solve this. What happened on mine was that water dripped down onto the coax cable and set off a code for that which would make the Onstar light go red even though everything kept working.

Found a 2011 VCIM from a wrecked, white ESV. Pulled the OEM 09 BT VCIM and swap’d em out.

09 has 3 Fakra connectors on the Continental / VDO VCIM so a wye splitter was used to tie in the BT antenna on the 2 Fakra LG unit

You may have the improved voice commands for navigation and be able to control the truck from your cell phone now if you maintain a subscription to Onstar. Remote start from your phone is a nice feature.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Found an unpowered 2 channel ground loop isolator for $12 on Amazon. It knocked out the feedback that started w/ the ‘12 OnStar upgrade / install. Unexpectedly, it also cleaned up the audio for the RSE.

0b33bc50e75a884c2643318026567e9f.jpg

I’ll be looking for some kind of oem looking female USB receptacle to replace the factory A/V connectors.

The Amazon adapter and the ‘12 OnStar VCIM have completely handled all the needed upgrades to bring this ‘09 ICE up to date. It’s integrated, inexpensive and incognito.

All that’s left is to purchase and install is the Barracuda vehicle in motion bypass and I can call it done for a long time.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sad day. Lost our console navigator Fiona yesterday. Crazy French Bulldog was acquired as a 3 year old pre owned model from a pet store window in LA with a sign “ready to breed”. A rescue foundation stepped in and shamed the owner to let them have her as she just had a litter of 4 three weeks previous.

Poor girl had nine lives but within 48 hours she was in heart failure at age 14. Thank God we’ve got the other Bulldog to get us through this. Poor Fifi was so so starved for attention when we got her she’d go into every bathroom in the house and unroll the toilet paper like a crazed honey badger. RIP fur baby.

41ad958e07f1c755d296dc60c8f2c404.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts