Exhaust/muffler laws, Maine specifically.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a borla xr-1 for my 08 5.3 ltz. The Maine inspection laws say 98 decibels according to standard J-1169. When I search this standard it says cancelled. I can't find anything about how the test is done, like is it 98db from 1 foot? 10 feet? At idle? At full chooch? Anyone have any knowledge on exhaust laws or know how the test is done? I'll buy a db meter to make sure if I have to.

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to attach laws

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-184150.png
    Screenshot_20231221-184150.png
    857 KB · Views: 4

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They probably made that for a-holes that have straight piped vehicles

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.... If the police have NOTHING better to do than check your exhaust rumble, then maybe that's a good thing (?) - most likely not. Plus, don't give them the power over you to enjoy YOUR vehicle.

A nice growl isn't going to get you in trouble. Driving like a wanna be fast and furious driver with a 4 banger at 6k rpm, no muffler, and a fart can tip will get you noticed.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My nephew who lives in Maine says that most inspections focus on safety only, and if your exhaust system is intact you will have no issue at inspection time. Cumberland County is probably more conscious of loud exhaust systems than other counties. He has an aftermarket exhaust system that is louder than stock, and he has not had any issues.

As stated above, if you drive 'normally' in populated areas, you won't be bothered.

I drive around the York area almost weekly with my Gibson Extreme exhaust system, which is LOUD, but I don't goose the motor when I'm around lots of other vehicles, which could include a police car. So far, no issues.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a borla xr-1 for my 08 5.3 ltz. The Maine inspection laws say 98 decibels according to standard J-1169. When I search this standard it says cancelled. I can't find anything about how the test is done, like is it 98db from 1 foot? 10 feet? At idle? At full chooch? Anyone have any knowledge on exhaust laws or know how the test is done? I'll buy a db meter to make sure if I have to.
the XR-1 isnt that loud, especially with the 5.3, maybe if you flew by a cop on your right at WOT you might get there attention, but that's just being foolish even with a stock exhaust.

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the XR-1 isnt that loud, especially with the 5.3, maybe if you flew by a cop on your right at WOT you might get there attention, but that's just being foolish even with a stock exhaust.
It's not the cops that give me a hard time. I've never been hassled by cops even with straight glass packs. It's the inspection stations that give me a hard time. Mufflers and headlights, anything not stock you get "that don't pass". Good luck fighting it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the cops that give me a hard time. I've never been hassled by cops even with straight glass packs. It's the inspection stations that give me a hard time. Mufflers and headlights, anything not stock you get "that don't pass". Good luck fighting it.
in that case I would make it bolt on, then just swap the oem one back in for inspection.

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. Couple v-bands and some pipe. 10 minute job to swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar