Upgrade to 20's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
Ok, so finally need some new tires. Don't mind the factory 17's (Z71), but have been wanting to possibly upgrade to some 20" snowflakes. I know a lot of you guys have already done this, so what width wheels did you use? I was thinking the 9", but just want to make sure they'll clear. I lowered it 2" up front and 3" in the rear. Will some of you kindly post some pics? My '** is white, and really like the chrome ones, but am curious to see some with black , or whatever other colors, you guys have used. Cheers!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just gotta try it out lol. I had 3 sets of 24s on my 00 Tahoe stock height in the front lowered in the rear . No rub at all. Then I put 20s with 275 55 20 nitro grapplers and the beefy tires rubbed at full turn. But 275 55 20 street tires did not rub.

OP
OP
D

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
Ok, I will definitely check out the link. Thank you!. I went up from the stock 265 to a 285 and was very pleased at the look, filling up more of the fender opening. After I lowered the rear, I had a little rubbing, but nothing serious. It only happened going in or out of a steep driveway. I believe the original size wheels are 17x7. @Joseph: how do you like the Hellwigs? I am strongly considering those, as well.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will definitely check out the link. Thank you!. I went up from the stock 265 to a 285 and was very pleased at the look, filling up more of the fender opening. After I lowered the rear, I had a little rubbing, but nothing serious. It only happened going in or out of a steep driveway. I believe the original size wheels are 17x7. @Joseph: how do you like the Hellwigs? I am strongly considering those, as well.

The Hellwig sway bars are outstanding. One of the best investments that I've made on my truck to date, right behind my Back Bear Performance tune.

Take a look at my build thread below:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/hellwig-sway-bars-installation-2007-yukon-xl-denali.125879/

If you want additional information, @PNW VietVet can chime in as well, as he's also installed and road tested the Hellwig sway bars.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have ever heard the phrase "seat of the pants feel", you will know exactly what that means if you bolt on the Hellwig kits. They are pricey but worth it, IMO.

I just ordered all Genuine GM parts at RA for my steering and suspension parts. Upper and lower control arms, pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rids, center link, wheel bearing hubs and the rear track bar. I am really looking forward to the parts install to go along with the Hellwig kits and hopefully the best/tightest steering/suspension "feel" is accomplished.

OP
OP
D

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
@PNW VietVet: Thank you for your service! I spent 30 years in government aviation and had a blast doing so. I do know what you mean by "seat of the pants"! The reason I have been wanting to do the Hellwig bars was because of the fact that they are pretty much the only solid bars on the market. Hollow bars are no good. My main thing is reducing the back and forth swaying on the interstate. I installed the neoprene bushings a couple of years ago, and work well, for the most part. But, at speed on the interstate, you get the rocking back and forth.

@Joseph Garcia: Great pics on the install. Those things are huge! Can't wait to upgrade those.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I also have pics of my install in my build thread but it is pretty much like @Joseph Garcia pics.

I love to get the "seat of the pants feel" that justifies my spending. Braking systems and steering/suspension systems can usually provide this pretty easy. I do like performance of the engine and trans too. I felt the difference with the Corvette servo in the trans and am looking forward to my trip to Idaho for a BBT.

Over the years, one "performance add-on" that I have felt is a waste of money is a cold air intake. Never did it to any rig I owned. Had 3 friends do it to their rigs, after asking my opinion and hearing me say no, and I drove their rigs and felt no difference at all. 2 of the 3 said they did but I would bet it was wishful thinking but hell, they drove the rigs every day and should know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2