Unleaded 88 Casey's Gas Station

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmkuper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon Denali 6.0 I recently filled up my tank with Unleaded 88 from Casey's Gas Station(Its a Midwest thing.....) because its almost 20cents less than regular. Below is the information on their website about the gas it appears to just be a 15/85 blend eth/gas. Anyway I have been running it in the truck for about a week now with no issues. In fact I am getting almost 2mpg more, I expected to get less due to the higher ethanol%....

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this fuel or similar?

Unleaded 88​

Casey's is proud to offer Unleaded 88, a blend of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline, at select stores across our 16 states. Also known as E-15, Unleaded 88 is an environmentally friendly fuel approved by the EPA for use in vehicles 2001 and newer.

Attachments

• E15-label_002.jpg
    E15-label_002.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 4

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of it, but never had it to use. cant be to bad really. its only 5% more ethanol.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon Denali 6.0 I recently filled up my tank with Unleaded 88 from Casey's Gas Station(Its a Midwest thing.....) because its almost 20cents less than regular. Below is the information on their website about the gas it appears to just be a 15/85 blend eth/gas. Anyway I have been running it in the truck for about a week now with no issues. In fact I am getting almost 2mpg more, I expected to get less due to the higher ethanol%....

Unleaded 88​

Casey's is proud to offer Unleaded 88, a blend of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline, at select stores across our 16 states. Also known as E-15, Unleaded 88 is an environmentally friendly fuel approved by the EPA for use in vehicles 2001 and newer.
Our rigs were designed to run on it, starting around the year 2000. My is the next generation and it does indeed get better mileage when the alcohol content is between 15% to about 20%. The engines love the stuff and it's good for them.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where the "extra mileage" is coming from considering it is a scientific fact that ethanol has a much lower BTU output content than gasoline when burned. Translates to you get less mileage with ethanol and burn more ethanol to go the same amount of mileage as you would have with 100% gasoline. Maybe the engine and PCM maps are optimized more and fine tuned better in that range vs using E10 ?????

Its the same reason you get better heating in a home with a fireplace using oak wood vs burch or aspen. The oak has a higher BTU output when burned vs the others.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where the "extra mileage" is coming from considering it is a scientific fact that ethanol has a much lower BTU output content than gasoline when burned. Translates to you get less mileage with ethanol and burn more ethanol to go the same amount of mileage as you would have with 100% gasoline. Maybe the engine and PCM maps are optimized more and fine tuned better in that range vs using E10 ?????

Its the same reason you get better heating in a home with a fireplace using oak wood vs burch or aspen. The oak has a higher BTU output when burned vs the others.
I think it comes down to the slight increase in ethanol is enough to stave off any minor knock that you dont know the engine is seeing. And helps keep the vehicle on the high octane timing curve. Ive seen the 2 curves for basic LQ4s and LM7/L59 engines, and there can be as much as 4 degrees of timing between the low and high octane curves.
Now with my old tech carbed nova, 4 degrees can get or lose 2 mpg. So i do t see why it couldnt happen here. Now you start getting to large increases in ethanol and yes mpg will drop dramatically

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unleaded 88​

I’ve been using E15 for quite sometime with no issues. Iowa just passed a law requiring pretty much every gas station to offer it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where the "extra mileage" is coming from...

Based on my fuel logs, I would say that an ethanol content of between 15-22% or so makes more horsepower, just enough to decrease the load on the engine and get its best mileage. A higher content makes more power but at this point it burns more, not sure I'm spitting it out right.

1654600796519.png

1654600844029.png

According to the chart above, my own experience show that the difference between the two is not as great as suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr