Unknown Window Streaking - How to Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McDermut

Reaction score
I've had this streaking on my driver's window since I've been driving the car. It's not been a hazard, more like an annoyance as it doesn't obstruct my view that much. However I would like to see about getting rid of it and having a normal-looking window with no concerns of it becoming any more of a risk. It appears to be only on the exterior side of the window, and your everyday automotive glass cleaner doesn't seem to have any effect on the streaking. Is there an issue with the window mechanism and how can I get rid of this?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DAA7A063-8930-43E6-8465-1A3D8D00AD16.jpeg
    DAA7A063-8930-43E6-8465-1A3D8D00AD16.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 4F72A8E8-17D3-4338-A976-443BD360C9EF.jpeg
    4F72A8E8-17D3-4338-A976-443BD360C9EF.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4770B2B2-0BC4-49B5-95E2-5A57C386D4A5.jpeg
    4770B2B2-0BC4-49B5-95E2-5A57C386D4A5.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 7

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Mine came to me with some kind of cloudy, hazy material on the driver’s window and a bit on the windshield. I have found no chemical solution, alcohol, acids, solvents, nothing affects it. But I can scrape it off with a razorblade scraper and a lot of pressure. What comes off is white and gritty or crystaline. Steel wool and a lot of elbow grease gets it too. I have no idea what this stuff is but it’s tenacious.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is someone contaminated the outer window seal with some kind of “Lube” to stop it squeaking. I would try having the window rolled all the way down, and get a clean lint free cloth saturated in rubbing alcohol, and try and scrub the inside of those seals where they ride on the window. Like Bill 1960 said, a razor blade scraper and a cleaner to lubricate the surface as you carefully scrape.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use Bon Ami and water and clean it thoroughly and maybe do it 2 times. Bon Ami will not scratch it, like other cleansers like Comet.....I do my windshield with it to whenever I replace blades. Works every time.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had a similar problem. The wife thought it was hard water, but vinegar wouldn't take it off neither did mild abrasives. The wife got out an old bottle of this stuff called "Diamond Magic" and it took everything off. The windows are clean and clear as the day it was made, I bought it used and the windows weren't in the best shape. But this stuff works really good. I used a green synthetic scrubbing pad along with an ample amount of Diamond Magic. I would suggest wearing rubber gloves when you use it as I didn't and my callouses, along with a few layers of old skin, came off in the days afterwards. Got up one morning and my hands looked like I had Leprosy, LOL!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this streaking on my driver's window since I've been driving the car. It's not been a hazard, more like an annoyance as it doesn't obstruct my view that much. However I would like to see about getting rid of it and having a normal-looking window with no concerns of it becoming any more of a risk. It appears to be only on the exterior side of the window, and your everyday automotive glass cleaner doesn't seem to have any effect on the streaking. Is there an issue with the window mechanism and how can I get rid of this?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!
When I was a kid, I used White Polishing Compound by Turtle Wax to get all that and the salt air crud build up off my glass. Never thought of Bon Ami but that's not a bad idea either, sure keeps our copper pots clean!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have been using Bon Ami to clean the crud off of w/s for over 30 years. Every time I put a new set of wipers on, the w/s got thoroughly cleaned with Bon Ami and the new wipers would then have a completely clean w/s to work with and very clean swipes with no streaking. I also always use the little alcohol wipe on the blade when they are new.

I now also use AquaPel glass treatment so that the water literally wants to slide ride off. @Rocket Man turned me on to that and I have spread the word here locally.