Unhooked Battery, now it won't start- Please help! *SOLVED*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 LTZ- bought a liftgate actuator and was installing it. When I plugged in the new actuator, it starting whirring and making noise; so I thought I would unhook the negative battery cable. I finished installing the actuator and hooked the battery back up. Now it won't start. The lights, front windows and some dash lights work, but it will not start. No locks work, and my key fobs do not work. There is no "lock" staying on my dash, just an engine light and the traction light. Battery is showing 12.7 volts and I have checked all the fuses under the hood.

This has to be a simple fix. Please Help.

I even took the new actuator off, but it did not help.

Any ideas?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 LTZ- bought a liftgate actuator and was installing it. When I plugged in the new actuator, it starting whirring and making noise; so I thought I would unhook the negative battery cable. I finished installing the actuator and hooked the battery back up. Now it won't start. The lights, front windows and some dash lights work, but it will not start. No locks work, and my key fobs do not work. There is no "lock" staying on my dash, just an engine light and the traction light. Battery is showing 12.7 volts and I have checked all the fuses under the hood.

Any ideas?
Do you have a Tech 2 (or near someone in the Tech 2 owners sticky)?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any ideas?
check the fuses you popped one of them most likely the BCM

THIS is why the battery should be always disconnected before any work is done on the SUV... Hopefully you did not damage it..

check the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side this is the HIGH POWER fuse box

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed in the shop manual is the power liftgate module is connected to the Theft Deterrent logic. You might check to see if you triggered the theft deterrent system.

A tech 2 would be really helpful I suspect.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Tech 2, just a normal code reader. No codes shown
Looking at my shop manual, you may have fouled up the theft deterrent system. I have not done any research into how to unstick that system. You might what to do some research on that system and how to reset it. It will inhibit starting.

Edit: a brief scan of possible fixes to the theft deterrent system includes disconnecting the battery negative terminal again and leaving it disconnected for 20+ minutes. After 20+ minutes, reconnect.

The theory is after that, the key fobs should work, lock nd unlock the doors with the fob and then start the truck. I have no idea if that will work or not…

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scrapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
check the fuses you popped one of them most likely the BCM

THIS is why the battery should be always disconnected before any work is done on the SUV... Hopefully you did not damage it..

check the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side this is the HIGH POWER fuse box
Will do. I checked all the fuses under the hood, but not all the fuses in the cabin fuse box

OP
OP
S

Scrapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at my shop manual, you may have fouled up the theft deterrent system. I have not done any research into how to unstick that system. You might what to do some research on that system and how to reset it. It will inhibit starting.
Wouldn't the engine lockout light be lit on the cluster if the theft system locked me out? The lockout light isn't on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish