Turbo diesel for the Denali!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got approved to order one. The dealer took my request and will order it when it becomes available. I’m pretty excited. I love diesels.

Bcrandall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How would the diesel compare to the 6.2 in terms of performance? I had a 2015 denali and like the idea of better gas mileage with the diesel if the performance would be similar.

Ojustracing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How would the diesel compare to the 6.2 in terms of performance? I had a 2015 denali and like the idea of better gas mileage with the diesel if the performance would be similar.
I currently drive a Silverado 3.0 crew cab 4x4. You'll get the fuel mileage, low end torque and towing fuel mileage. But performance of a 6.2? like 0-60 or passing? Performance wise close too the 5.3 but its no 6.2. Since my purchase in June. I would buy a 3.0 tahoe/yukon right now if it wasn't a new model yr.

I don't think they have released the fuel mileage specs for these yet. But what I can say about mine. 30+mpg since driving it home. Just commuted 250 miles a day for 30 days. calculated fuel mileage over almost 4400 miles(46MPH average) was 35.4 mpg. best tank 36.7mpg. Towing a 5k open car hauler netted me 20mpg tank. full disclosure. I live in two lane rural driving area. These MPG number are unheard of. The engine combo loves this style of driving 35-55 mph. 18 regens average distance of 246 miles and used 4.5 gallons of def.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 diesels and from 0-50 you mostly can't tell the difference. They aren't and won't be anything like the 6.2, but with that dismal fuel mileage and needing premium fuel, I just can't do it.
Fuel won't be in the 2.00 range forever, and I want the range that diesel mileage will offer. I'm expecting 25 MPG + out of this combo and that will be an astounding number for a vehicle of this size.... Biggest questions will be how well they have handled turbo lag from a standing start, and the robustness of the emissions system. I intend to buy the extended warranty right out of the box for it. I'm willing to accept a few new model year snafus, as long as they are handled in a timely fashion. Anxiously awaiting the 1st reviews of these as they hit the ground in the next 3 months. Prob won't order one till spring... let them get a few out the door and fix the 1st made issues before getting one...

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
Anyone else ordering a Diesel Denali and have a delivery date as yet?

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
Apparently not an option for the AT4 given the shorter front end.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more interested in the diesel if it were equivalent to, or even a more powerful option than the 6.2. I have the 6.2 in both '07 and '12 versions, and have owned turbodiesel cars. The last was a 2014 BMW 328d and I regretted my decision in the first year because it was considerably slower than the gasoline version of the car, and I missed the power more than I would have the additional money I'd have spent in fuel for the quicker car. The torque is great, but probably another liter of displacement would be needed for this engine to be an attractive option to me.

Mike96ss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also waiting to order a diesel. Because its an all new build, I am thinking about Leasing first, so f there are issues or i'm not crazy about it. I have a way out.
No order date as of yet. They opened ordering for the Tahoe on 10/29, with supposed build starting the week of 11/16. But no way to confirm if they actually started building them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094