Tuning standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoeston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems like most people get their ppvs tuned after purchasing.
Mentions of squeezing every bit of perfomance or that they wanted better mpg so went to standard tune, or they performed subtantial engine work requiring a tune(afm deletion).
Is retuning a standard on used ppvs?
I don't plan on retuning, mpg is average, its definitely not spec'd for max performance imo or something IS wrong.
My '14 came with an extra/old ecu in the glovebox which had been swapped and was tuned with whatever is in there now at the dealer(i was able to find the work order for it, but the computer had been brought in from the department that owned it so idk what it is).
I assume the old ecu is trash or maybe worth $?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no telling what is on it, if it doesn't hit 120 and the limiter kicks on before that then it most likely no longer has a ppv tune, some agency's may not allow 120+ but I think that would be rare. as far as i know most of them allow up to 130, some may have the limiter turned off period and then you could hit 136-140

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
no telling what is on it, if it doesn't hit 120 and the limiter kicks on before that then it most likely no longer has a ppv tune, some agency's may not allow 120+ but I think that would be rare. as far as i know most of them allow up to 130, some may have the limiter turned off period and then you could hit 136-140
What speed does the civilian tune stop at? I’ve had mine to 105.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What speed does the civilian tune stop at? I’ve had mine to 105.
usually no more than 115, often 100, 105, 110
I'll hit 105 just getting on the freeway, lol doesn't take much to go over 100 when the cruising speed is 85 around here.
you will know when you have hit the limiter because it cuts off

Dropfire93x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope I’m remembering the top speeds correctly from our Tahoe fleet…

Tahoe SSV - 105 MPH
Tahoe PPV 2WD - 135 MPH
Tahor PPV 4WD - 120 MPH

My coworkers tell me it varies a little and some claim the 2WD PPV can go just a little faster at just under 140. With my 2013 and then 2018 Tahoe 2WD PPVs, I cannot personally attest to the top speeds. I just have no desire to drive that fast in suburban and urban areas.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I’m remembering the top speeds correctly from our Tahoe fleet…

Tahoe SSV - 105 MPH
Tahoe PPV 2WD - 135 MPH
Tahor PPV 4WD - 120 MPH

My coworkers tell me it varies a little and some claim the 2WD PPV can go just a little faster at just under 140. With my 2013 and then 2018 Tahoe 2WD PPVs, I cannot personally attest to the top speeds. I just have no desire to drive that fast in suburban and urban areas.
most of the 5.3's top out at around 136/137 if the governor is off, I have had my 6.2 up to 142 or 143 and she still had a pinch more but no more road.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hoeston Many folks tune them to disable AFM and to improve the performance of the transmission. Both of these things are done to improve durability/longevity and actually aid in performance/efficiency.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the 5.3's top out at around 136/137 if the governor is off, I have had my 6.2 up to 142 or 143 and she still had a pinch more but no more road.
That is incredibly dangerous especially on public roads. Holy crap. These are lumbering full size suvs not sports cars.

I don't take my z06 or any of my sports cars anywhere close to those speeds on a public road. Best case scenario you hurt yourself worst case you take out a family in your stupidity.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is incredibly dangerous especially on public roads. Holy crap. These are lumbering full size suvs not sports cars.

I don't take my z06 or any of my sports cars anywhere close to those speeds on a public road. Best case scenario you hurt yourself worst case you take out a family in your stupidity.
I take you have never driven out in a desert or plain's or in any open space? there are places in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Idaho, Texas and California where you might be lucky to make it to the next gas station because there is nothing and no one for miles. not everything has to be on a busy public road
you can't tell me your Z06 wont go from 100-140+ in a little over a mile? or is it governed?
i couldn't go buy one and not go find out.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take you have never driven out in a desert or plain's or in any open space? there are places in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Idaho, Texas and California where you might be lucky to make it to the next gas station because there is nothing and no one for miles. not everything has to be on a busy public road
you can't tell me your Z06 wont go from 100-140+ in a little over a mile? or is it governed?
i couldn't go buy one and not go find out.
Its not governed. Its done about 175 at road Atlanta.

Im not doing double the speed limit regardless of how much 'free space' there is.

Too much can go wrong. And someone will pay the price.

If thats your thing good luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts