Trying to match a color...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the color is that GM used for things like the radio and HVAC buttons and radio and HVAC faces on the '03-06s? This is also the color on the dash bezel insets that surround the gauge and switch openings, so maybe someone knows from having redone their bezel. Colorbond seems to have a selection that covers all of the colors in their LVP line, but I can't tell which of the dark colors would be the right one. It looks like maybe it's Very Dark Pewter (159), but Dark Slate (646) and Graphite (641) also look like possibilities, or there are also a couple of others that it might be. I suppose I could buy one of each and try them, but I really didn't want to waste money buying colors that I don't need.

I'd like to try repainting worn buttons and then use a laser to etch the labels back on the button. When I've looked closely at the buttons under a microscope, it appears that is how they were done originally.

369_0506_roadtests_z_2005_chevrolet_tahoe_suv_dash.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried repainting and laser etching to restore worn buttons?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually the colors on these trucks are pewter or dark pewter/very dark pewter, the SEM brand is usually a perfect match

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many have used the sticker kits with good results.
I have seen them for the '03-06 radio buttons, but I haven't seen these for the HVAC buttons, only the NNBS. From what I have seen, apparently this is a big problem with NNBS HVAC controls. Besides, repainting and laser etching just seems like a better solution.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99-02 trim is different than the 03-06. I don't remember which is which, but they have different names for the same colors because they gave it a different sheen.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The 99-02 trim is different than the 03-06. I don't remember which is which, but they have different names for the same colors because they gave it a different sheen.

Its the 921/922 interior. Same codes, different colors.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the 921/922 interior. Same codes, different colors.
I don't know which ones they are, but they are the same colors for the different years.
The 99-02 were charcoal, graphite, black. I don't remember the order. I think its graphite, charcoal, then black.
The 03-06 were pewter, dark pewter, etc..
graphite is the same color as pewter. charcoal is the same color as dark pewter. (AGAIN, I may have those backwards, but you get the idea). The only difference is the sheen, and I'm pretty sure the later models were only 1 level shinier.

It sounds like you have the same code, then you could do it that way. I think if you put them side by side, you aren't even going to know, If you upgraded both of your a pillars (such as for tweeter pods), you probably wouldn't even be able to tell there is a difference.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I don't know which ones they are, but they are the same colors for the different years.
The 99-02 were charcoal, graphite, black. I don't remember the order. I think its graphite, charcoal, then black.
The 03-06 were pewter, dark pewter, etc..
graphite is the same color as pewter. charcoal is the same color as dark pewter. (AGAIN, I may have those backwards, but you get the idea). The only difference is the sheen, and I'm pretty sure the later models were only 1 level shinier.

It sounds like you have the same code, then you could do it that way. I think if you put them side by side, you aren't even going to know, If you upgraded both of your a pillars (such as for tweeter pods), you probably wouldn't even be able to tell there is a difference.

Mine is 06 with 921/922 which is med drk pewter, blah blah. Not sure about the whole sheen thing on the plastics. I was thinking of how the 921/922 codes were used for a completely different color set for the leather (which I realize is not what this thread is about).

Screenshot_20190804-225134_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike_16_denali