Trying to do front windshield tint - how does rear view mirror come off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me which way the rear view mirror comes off? I can't seem to figure out how to get the rear view mirror off to do front windshield tint. I'm afraid of breaking it off LOL.

Thanks.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the tahoes, there's a small squarish bracket with some small slots/groves on each side...and that little thing is glued or sealed to the actual glass. SO if you try to pull it off, you'll crack the glass.

The entire rearview mirror slides down onto this and I think it's a torx screw at the bottom of the mirror that holds it down onto the bracket. Loosen that screw and the mirror should slide up off the bracket.

Some cut a slit in the piece of film above the rear view, hardly noticeable and the cops wont see it. That's what we did on my wife's car.

HTH

crazycrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^. X 2. There should be a small hex head or screw into the bottom of the mirror mount. Unscrew this then slide the mirror up^. You will be left with the mounting bracket on the glass. DO NoT try to remove this. u can cut around it, or cut an x over it then trim to fit around this bracket. Once you put the mirror back on it won't be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tint around it :shrug:

OP
OP
M

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx guys.

There is also a round electrical unit under that square plastic cover that is for the phone/onstar.

I bought pre-cut tint but it was only pre-cut for the small bracket that holds the rear view mirror.

Didn't turn out like I'd hope so I'm going to redo it. Next time though I'll cut it in half and trim out for that electrical unit.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait...you're tinting the windsheild? Like...the part you look out of? This seems like a bad idea but what do I know.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait...you're tinting the windsheild? Like...the part you look out of? This seems like a bad idea but what do I know.

I'm with you but a ton of people do it. This is nothing new :shrug:

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm with you but a ton of people do it. This is nothing new :shrug:

I'm with you two. After my car wreck, I realized people can sue you for any little thing they think may have caused any part of the accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r

Latest posts