Truck wont crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hanky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe your lights blew a fuse? There is one fuse that can cause no-crank/no-start... The PCM B fuse.
A long shot, but check that fuse.

Bench test can be done removing the starter and using a battery and jumper cables.

Might be good to go though the under hood and in cabin fuse blocks and check fuses anyway. Doesn't cost anything to rule out a blown fuse somewhere.
Yeah i forgot to mention that at first one of the license plate bulbs were out so replaced it with the proper bulb b4 i tried the leds and the new bulb got burned up but still worked and after i wasnt able to start it the lights still worked. Is it possible the pcm fuse popped before the fuse for the lights did if there is a short?

OP
OP
H

Hanky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
jumping the starter can be done with cables but isnt ideal. either way the point is to bypass the solenoid on the starter and force it to try to turn the engine. if your going to try with cables clamp the ground to the starter mounting bolt and touch the positive cable off the opposite large lug the battery is connected too. normal method is to use something to jump the 2 large lugs on the starter. where the battery connects and the opposite one that feeds the motor itself. on the off chance something odd did happen with these magical bulbs have you attempted to undo what you did in the back of the truck? as mentioned previously bulbs shouldn't be stopping it from starting however going round and round chasing gremlins that started after. anyway jumping your starter will give you and us some direction. if you jump the starter with a good voltage at the ready and it still wont turn over but the starter bench tests fine it could just be binding on your flywheel. did this new starter come with a shim plate and if so did you use it or not.
Yeah put the old ones back in and they still work but one of the bulbs got burned but still worked after this so it didnt blow a fuse for the lights i checked every fuse maybe i gotta double check damn near every fuse

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe your lights blew a fuse? There is one fuse that can cause no-crank/no-start... The PCM B fuse.

Bench test can be done removing the starter and using a battery and jumper cables.

Might be good to go though the under hood and in cabin fuse blocks and check fuses anyway. Doesn't cost anything to rule out a blown fuse somewhere.
not his reported problem, but overall good video except the guy does everything @ss backwards besides checking the battery.
He reports getting a "single click" from the starter "not fast clicks" which -should mean low voltage or bad starter or it's jamming on the flywheel
if he test's it from the relay pin post's it's still going to just "click" it needs to be bench tested and shimmed if it works when pulled out and replaced if not.
or he's not reporting the problem properly.......and it's something else entirely.
the only thing a bulb possibly could do is cause a low voltage situation (reversed polarity short, or ohm short on the lamp circuit) or blow a fuse from being inserted backwards i.e. led, but generally if a bulb is bad it should be the low end of the totem pole and just burn out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah put the old ones back in and they still work but one of the bulbs got burned but still worked after this so it didnt blow a fuse for the lights i checked every fuse maybe i gotta double check damn near every fuse
jump the starter from the relay pins like it shows in the video, if it still just goes "click" pull the starter or loosen it a smidge and try again if it's getting stuck you can just shim it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a large breaker bar?? At this point, I would start by trying to manually turn the engine over.

When you engage the starter, do it with the door open.

Keep an eye on the dome lights, do they dim, do they dim dramatically?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hanky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Ok so not the pcm b fuse i found a bad fuse for injectors and replaced it but i was thinking that wasnt gonna be the question. What would make my voltage reading on my dash read at 9 volts when the battery is at 12.5 2 good batteries same thing starter and alternator are both at 12.5 too so connections and good and grounds are good cuz it was just running fine what would make it read innacuratly

OP
OP
H

Hanky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Attachments

• 20211125_122919.jpg
    20211125_122919.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211125_122932.jpg
    20211125_122932.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse