P0335 (crank pos sensor) issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been having issues with my 2012 6.2 swapped Yukon since I got it back together after a head gasket repair. It was fine for a hundred miles or so, but I got on it hard the other day and it's been having this issue ever since.

It is sporadically throwing a p0335 code which leads to the truck running like crap, the tach going to 0, and the tcs/stabiltrak lights coming on. It's weird though because it does it way less after I swapped in my old battery I had laying around. I thought I fixed it with the battery swap, so I got a new platinum AGM battery and put that in, and it did it even worse.

I checked the grounds on the back of the driver side head, the front of the passenger side head, and the ground wire under the front cross member for the negative battery.

Tomorrow I am going to just replace the crank sensor since I believe another ground wire is tucked away near it somewhere on the block, so it will allow me to inspect that.

I wanted to post here though in case someone else had a similar issue. I am really bummed about it because I just got the truck back together and was looking forward to taking road trips again. I was looking at used prices for this generation and was shocked at how inflated they are....

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have this feeling it's still battery related. I wonder if it is just the negative cable

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shim or no shim?

That's on the SBC-based 4.3, I believe he said. Crank sensor definitely looks like a 4.3 and he mentions it goes in the timing cover underneath.

Never heard of installing a shim on the LS-based V8...does it apply also? I have heard of reluctor getting bent when installing the crank on an engine rebuild though.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's on the SBC-based 4.3, I believe he said. Crank sensor definitely looks like a 4.3 and he mentions it goes in the timing cover underneath.

Never heard of installing a shim on the LS-based V8...does it apply also? I have heard of reluctor getting bent when installing the crank on an engine rebuild though.

I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with the newer engines. Probably doesn't apply to the LS V-8.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

Replaced the negative battery terminal/ground cable wire and put back in the *new* battery. As soon as I floored the pedal on my test drive, the car sputtered, tachometer went to 0 and I saw the p0335 code again. I put in my old battery from my C7 corvette, and took it for another test drive. This time the truck ran fine and I was able to go wot all the way to about 80 with no issues.

I think the battery is masking a deeper issue though since I still had the issue with the previous battery of the same type (advance auto platinum AGM battery).

I am not sure where to go next with my troubleshooting. I have a new GM crank pos sensor and a new pigtail. I also have a new positive battery terminal.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so it started doing it with the other battery now. One of the wires must be moving in a way when I swap batteries, causing the issue to go away momentarily. There's a positive wire to the starter, a ground wire, and the crank pos sensor wiring that are bunched up together. I'll inspect all of that soon.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought, and I don't know that it would help in the trouble shooting any, but can you pull the big wire off the alt, tape it up some it doesn't short out. so the truck is turning just off the battery and see if it dies out when you wiggle the battery cables or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts