Truck Dying Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickp

Reaction score
This started a little while ago. The issue starts when I'm going down the hwy at about 65-70 and about 2000 rpm. When I punch it the truck starts to bog down, like it's not getting enough fuel. Eventually it gets worse to the point the truck dies. Sometimes the truck will start but when I press on the gas it bogs down again and I cant even get to 3000 rpm, then it dies again. After it dies I've always been able to get it started again after 10 min or so of trying. Then the truck runs fine for a while. Today it did it 4 times and I barely got home. Could this be the fuel pump failing?

I have a custom tune from Black Bear Perf. and after loading their tune the truck ran great. I sent them a data file after loading their tune and Justin told me the truck was running lean at high RMP, so on his suggestion I replaced the fuel filter. If that didn't fix the issue, he believes the fuel pump isn;t putting out enough pressure at the higher rmps and that it might need to be replaced. Based on that information, I'm thinking the fuel pump is crapping out on me. When BBP told me the truck was running lean at high rmp, I could not tell there was anything wrong with the truck, meaning it drove great. There were no symptoms whatsoever, at any speed.

Here's my other question to you guys. A couple of months back my AutoCal was popping O2 sensor errors, so I replaced all 4 of them. Shortly after doing that the AutoCal was giving me a Catalytic Converted code, which I just cleared. I came across a couple of posts stating that a Catalytic Converter can be clogged and cause these bog down issues, is that correct? Can a Cat. Converter do that??

Small update,
As I barely made it home today, the truck was dying in my driveway. It would barely rev up over 3500 to 4000 rpm. Two hours later the truck started up just fine with no issues at all. I even revved up the engine with no issues at all. COuld the issue be temperature related. Maybe this is the reason the truck starts up again after 10 minutes of trying to start the truck on the side of the road.

Thanks
R

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Yeah. bad cats will do that and so will a weak fuel pump/regulator. Get a fuel pressure gauge on a long hose and tape it to the windshield and see if pressure is normal when this happens.

OP
OP
rickp

rickp

Reaction score
After they truck dying in my driveway last night and not moving it, I just got in it and it drove great. I punched from a dead stop and rpms went up to almost 5500 before changing to 2nd gear and then to almost 4500 before changing to 3rd gear. So whatever the issue i think temperature is involved.

Someone is telling me that its almost for sure the Fuel Pump. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow regardless.

R.

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me on a NBS, it got worse and worse until I had to get towed to a shop. They replaced my fuel pump and it ran like new.

I wonder if yours could be that as well. Could be a shorted wire for the pump as well - I read that when I was trying to diagnose mine last year.

OP
OP
rickp

rickp

Reaction score
This happened to me on a NBS, it got worse and worse until I had to get towed to a shop. They replaced my fuel pump and it ran like new.

I wonder if yours could be that as well. Could be a shorted wire for the pump as well - I read that when I was trying to diagnose mine last year.

Atually that is what happened with mine. The dealer changed the fuel pump and so far so good. lets hope it stays that way.

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Dealer replaced pump should last a while, when I changed it on the NBS it had never been changed and had 295000 km on it when it went bad lol - sometimes they do good things with oem parts :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts