Truck doesn’t turn over after dead battery fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. It has not but it started after the reprogram so not sure if that would be it. It’s also a standard key not the electronic ones with lock/unlock feature. I’m not sure if you’re thinking that.
no the key should be coded to your truck on that model. if the key isnt quite right anymore it may allow you to start it but it will shut off right away. other side if the device that reads the key is getting weak it could do the same thing. not really a gm specific problem either. most vehicles that have the antitheft as part of the key can have this issue.

OP
OP
S

Santanjl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They ought to have performed a parasitic draw test and checked the entire system for trouble codes already.
The shop did. First code involved the anti-theft system so it was reprogrammed. 2nd time it happened, impact sensor code showed. 3rd time was the body control module. Seems like codes are jumping all over the place not really showing the actual issue.

OP
OP
S

Santanjl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no the key should be coded to your truck on that model. if the key isnt quite right anymore it may allow you to start it but it will shut off right away. other side if the device that reads the key is getting weak it could do the same thing. not really a gm specific problem either. most vehicles that have the antitheft as part of the key can have this issue.
I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll look into that. How do you troubleshoot that particular problem?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll look into that. How do you troubleshoot that particular problem?
some vehicles will specifically have the antitheft indicator illuminate when it shuts down. a high end scanner should be able to indicate why the engine shutdown. atleast the ones ive used have indicators for systems that are operating. if the scanner can see the antitheft system it will activate right as the truck shuts down. if its something simpler you may simply see the ign or fuel system turn off. it could be a number of other simple issues aswell unrelated to my info. so try any diagnostics you can before throwing more parts at it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop did. First code involved the anti-theft system so it was reprogrammed. 2nd time it happened, impact sensor code showed. 3rd time was the body control module. Seems like codes are jumping all over the place not really showing the actual issue.
When you get all kinds of different codes it points to an electrical problem. It's usually a bad battery, a bad cell in a battery, battery cables or a failing body control module. It's not hard with a Tech-2 to find the culprit if they are trained to look for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz