Truck died, fuel gauge at 5 o'clock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mddimond

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was warming my 1995 tahoe up getting ready to go pick the kids up from grandmas house for about 20 minutes. When I got in my truck and started to back up it died. I noticed the fuel gauge is way over the FULL marker, at around the 5 o'clock position. I tried starting it and it won't start. Dead in the driveway now.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm guessing it's going to be something I sure as hell don't want to have to go lay in the snow to fix but will probably have to. My guess from my first google is it's probably the fuel pump. I also seen someone say something about a stepper motor? Any ideas?!

Thanks for any help at all!

jutte73

Reaction score
probably fuel pump.. take the gas cap off have some one turn the key on and listen in the gas take and listen for a humming noise, no noise no fuel pump. also you can try, may not be a good idea with it being cold, but hitting the gas tank with a hammer a few times while trying to start it may be able to get the pump motor to kick over too...

OP
OP
M

mddimond

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm sure it's the fuel pump. I don't hear it when I turn the key forward and usually do.

From what I've learned the sending unit is attached to the fuel pump, so that makes sense about the fuel gauge being in the wrong position. I guess.

Pretty craptacular deal. I tried hitting my gas tank a few good times but that didn't work. Even if it did, all it'd be good for is turning my truck around so I can back it into the garage to drop the tank.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It sounds like it shorted causing your gauge to go haywire. I agree on just replacing the unit and since you seem to live in the cold keep your tank topped off to reduce condensation problems. Maybe even switch gas stations or brands.

OP
OP
M

mddimond

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My first post on this website was about my thermostat replacement, and I broke what I now know is called the ground strap.

I ghetto rigged it a little to ghettoly, and it fell apart.

Now that it's fixed, my truck starts and the fuel gauge reads correctly. Not a broken fuel pump or sending unit.

Thanks for the replies anyways.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That would do it. When you lost that G103 ground it diverted power from the pump and relay and sent it up the fuel gauge to the only ground it could find. At least for the '95 models. Should have caught that myself originally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts