Truck dead, starter click - Battery is Good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
So just changed oil, and now I cant get her to start.
In just a moments thought, I thought I would just bump the starter a couple times to prime the oil pump.
Sounds dumb in hindsight.
Third crank, the whole truck just died.
The interior lights dimmed, cluster was flashing, wipers came on, AC blower motor barely moved.
So put the charger on the battery, but it has enough juice.
Try the load tester, battery tests good... very good.
Leave it to charge overnight anyway and try again, same result, acts like battery is dead.
To clarify, I only have to turn the ignition to ON, not crank, for all the power to seem very weak.
Appreciate any help!

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In just a moments thought, I thought I would just bump the starter a couple times to prime the oil pump.
The interior lights dimmed, cluster was flashing, wipers came on, AC blower motor barely moved.
Leave it to charge overnight anyway and try again, same result, acts like battery is dead.
To clarify, I only have to turn the ignition to ON, not crank, for all the power to seem very weak.
Appreciate any help!
try jumping it from another vehicle - if it starts it's your battery. If it does not start your solenoid probably went out.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
First thing I would check is battery terminals and leads, they get corroded. Then the various grounds. Of course this is all IF you battery actually is good

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate any help!

I know it sounds stupid, but go grab the ground cable to the battery and give it a twist right behind the lead clamp while the driver door is open...

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds stupid, but go grab the ground cable to the battery and give it a twist right behind the lead clamp while the driver door is open...
What should they expect to experience in doing this?

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What should they expect to experience in doing this?
Mine had started doing this going down the highway, after stopping at places to shop, finally figured out, moisture had gotten inside the lead clamps where the copper wire going inside had become wet and then corroded. Whole CPU in truck would reset with me going down the roads here in AR where the roads get pretty rough. I went ahead and bought a new ground cable and had it installed even though my dealer had never found it either.
Later found out its been an issue since 2013.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
try jumping it from another vehicle - if it starts it's your battery. If it does not start your solenoid probably went out.

Battery tests good and I dont even need to turn it over for it to lose power.
So in this case I dont think solenoid would cause power loss, right?

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
First thing I would check is battery terminals and leads, they get corroded. Then the various grounds. Of course this is all IF you battery actually is good

Cables are very clean.
I just cleaned grounds under the driver door on the frame and the one that goes to battery by the radiator.
Still same result.
Still dont know where the main negative cable goes tho. Any idea?

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Mine had started doing this going down the highway, after stopping at places to shop, finally figured out, moisture had gotten inside the lead clamps where the copper wire going inside had become wet and then corroded. Whole CPU in truck would reset with me going down the roads here in AR where the roads get pretty rough. I went ahead and bought a new ground cable and had it installed even though my dealer had never found it either.
Later found out its been an issue since 2013.

Cables look very clean, but Ill check in the lead cover. They are a pain to remove.
I might just cut them off if they get corroded anyway. Whats the point in having them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM