TRT, Tow Rig Tuesday...show what ya tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, its a lot over...
I know it has the horse power, but you still have to have suspension that works and be able to stop....
I keep hoping someone has had some experience going way over the limit...

Thanks, Eric

Well, for what its worth my wifes last Yukon (short slt/5.3) did straight up phenomenal towing our travel trailer. Not sure exactly how much overweighted it was, but our trailer is 7000 pounds empty. It handled it very well. Never once had an issue with getting up to speed, stopping, swaying or any of that. We did have a good weight distribution hitch, but thats a no brainer.

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics without the cover. The New Yukon XL 4x4 is Probably the best tow vehicle I've had so far, and now going to sell the boat...figures!

20180528_145537.jpg 20180528_145509.jpg 20180528_145455.jpg

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old black Yukon XL and the boat, Brembo used my truck as their test vehicle for the 6 piston caliper set up on the front and 4 piston rear, and did a photoshoot and magazine write up in a magazine when the kit was finished. That black truck was a beautiful truck...was a 2001 that I bought brand new and in 2010 still looked amazing, so amazing that it was stolen at my work in Irvine at 1 in the afternoon, and was recovered 4 days later in South Central.

IMG_0945.JPG BadaBingtruck.JPG IMG_0939.JPG s3-4.JPG

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the black truck was stolen, swore I would never have a black vehicle again and got the 2011 Suburban LT, 2wd, and 3 months later I had a 8mph bump on the freeway in traffic, so switched it up to a Z71 appearance package and lifted the nose...was a nice truck, but missing LTZ features like seat heaters, auto trunk closer etc. Also I think the Chevy versions have quality control issues compared to the GMC. Just my 02.

20130816_184833.jpg 20130718_113221.jpg 20150507_085555.jpg 20151228_164146.jpg

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome!

Did the black burb have some type of rear air assist? It looks nice and level, while the silver bullet has the sagging look.

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome!

Did the black burb have some type of rear air assist? It looks nice and level, while the silver bullet has the sagging look.
The black truck had airbags and train horns that I moved to the silver Burb, but pulling the 38ft boats was quite the load...only moved those local around town, but also did pretty good pulling that Silver Formula which was probably about 15k pounds boat and trailer...pulled that beast up the ramp and for a 2wd it did pretty good.

hunter991

Reaction score
I just want add something here....

My 2017 tahoe tows better than my 06 f150, my 2010 sequioa, and pretty much better than ANY vehicle including jeeps i have owned. I know some say the 5.3 is weak, but i don't see it. This truck barely struggles towing my tow boat that i posted a pic of in this thread. That boat goes over 6k in dead weight. I have seen 14.7 mpg towing that boat on the flats. My f150 got about 7, and the sequioa got about 11 at best towing that beast. This all happens with NO squatting of the rear end too. My truck looks jacked when towing my boat.

Reaction score
I notice the newer 5.3 seem to way outperform the older ones. Gave op my 07 Suburban because it significantly lacked towing power. my 15 Denali has a ton more power. I don't think it's just engine size, but rather by design. The 07 did not have Variable valve timing, and the newer ones do. I think that makes a huge difference in towing power. Also a six or eight speed trans makes a big difference as well. I love the collection of boats you have had. They are all awesome looking.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice the newer 5.3 seem to way outperform the older ones. Gave op my 07 Suburban because it significantly lacked towing power. my 15 Denali has a ton more power. I don't think it's just engine size, but rather by design. The 07 did not have Variable valve timing, and the newer ones do. I think that makes a huge difference in towing power. Also a six or eight speed trans makes a big difference as well. I love the collection of boats you have had. They are all awesome looking.

The Gen IV 5.3 did not get VVT until 2010. The Gen IV 6.0s and 6.2s always had it.