Trip Mileage Much Higher Than Odometer Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bickelhaupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My brother recently bought a 2009 Tahoe from a used dealer. While cycling through the DIC/IPC data he noticed the trip counter read a much higher mileage than that of the odometer mileage. The trip reads 186861.1 MI while the odometer says 126942 MI. He verified that the trip was counting at tenths of a mile and after it reached 186861.9 it then rolled over to 186862.xx, so it is counting correctly, as is the odometer. The CarFax that came with the vehicle corresponds with its current mileage. How is it possible for the trip to read higher than the total vehicle mileage, especially an almost 60,000 mile difference? Could the cluster have been replaced at some point and if so, is the mileage stored in the cluster itself or in one of the onboard modules? I attached the photos, hoping the numbers are visible. Thanks y'all!

2Oh3D8gm.jpg3gCbzOem.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very unusual, the mileage is stored on the cluster, if the cluster was replaced and re-programmed to the mileage necessary normally everything else is "zero'd out, but things like the hours can also be programmed. So either it's gone coocoo or someone made a mistake.
what do the hours say?
what did the dealer who sold it have to say about it?

OP
OP
Bickelhaupt

Bickelhaupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dealer's answer was simple... "I have no idea." was his exact response. I should also clarify that 'used dealer' might misrepresent the place where he purchased this Tahoe. It was more like a 'corner car-lot.' I don't assume anything shady happened at the hands of the lot and I doubt they posses the equipment required to reprogram, update, modify or mate something like the IPC. Engine Hours show 4101.0. Does that appear to match up with either of the mileage readings? Thanks for the reply, Wes.

omRPserm.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The dealer's answer was simple... "I have no idea." was his exact response. I should also clarify that 'used dealer' might misrepresent the place where he purchased this Tahoe. It was more like a 'corner car-lot.' I don't assume anything shady happened at the hands of the lot and I doubt they posses the equipment required to reprogram, update, modify or mate something like the IPC. Engine Hours show 4101.0. Does that appear to match up with either of the mileage readings? Thanks for the reply, Wes.

omRPserm.jpg

4101 would line up pretty well with the 126000. That's 30 mph avg., which is in the common neighborhood seen here.

OP
OP
Bickelhaupt

Bickelhaupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool, glad the hours look normal. Maybe Wes hit the nail on the head... it just went coo coo!

Reaction score
I'm surprised someone would own a car for almost 10 years and drive 126k miles without using the trip odometer

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
Bickelhaupt

Bickelhaupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tom, that same thought crossed my mind more than once. Now, if there were multiple trip counters, I could certainly see not resetting one because the other is in use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011