Tried to replace steering shaft bearing '97 Tahoe...wtf is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi - I have watched multiple videos across GM models from '95-'03 to make sure I was comfortable trying this - mainly because everyone said it was a pain in the ass, but solves a common issue (clunk steering feel). Ok so I checked, double checked multiple sites for part number/fit - I ordered from Amazon Dorman #905-512 steering shaft bearing.

So today I felt up to the task and started the job... actually the removal of the bolt and old bearing was pretty simple - the old bearing literally slid down with almost no resistance - until...it has a wiring harness on it. Wth? I have not seen a single picture or video that showed what I see on mine. Pics are of the bearing rotated so that you can see the wiring harness facing down, then the wires go back to a wiring block as part of a larger wire harness. Wtf is this for?!?! I don't see a single part online when I search for "'1997 Chevy Tahoe Steering Column Bearing" that shows this wire harness/connector.

So I'm at a stand still. I can disconnect the wire harness but obviously the new bearing doesn't have this and because I have no idea what this is for I don't want to make what is supposed to be a small straightforward job, into a "oh f now wtf do i do" job!

IMG_6893.jpgIMG_6894.jpg

Looking at these pictures does help - shows way more clearly then when I'm stuck under the wheel :) - I guess it looks like that wire harness can be pulled off the hold bearing and goes into the new bearing then just reconnect the harness? Still I'd really like to know what this is being I didn't see this step on any other replacement video.

Thank you to any help available!

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost think its a Yaw or steering wheel position sensor. I didnt think those were available in 97 thou?

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey
I have a 97 yukon,has the same setup. Was just having a look the other day after watching @TonyR thread where he was doing his steering shaft replacement. I think it is a sensor connected to the powersteer. Do you think that you could press/push the old bearing out of that housing and install the new?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVO sensor.(used on 97-98) leave it unplugged it will set code. Better to deactivate by removing Evo valve from power steering pump and leave it connected to fool computer.

OP
OP
J

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score

Is this it? This is listed as the steering wheel position sensor for a 97 Tahoe.

Plus, unless in an emergency, I would not use anything Dorman.

I will say those exhaust clamps, from Dorman, work great when you break the end bolts at the exhaust manifold.
Hey! That sure as heck looks exactly like it. So based on what you linked it seems like I was 100% wrong on what was needed. I'm pretty confused now other than clearly what I was trying to do was wrong.

Thanks everybody for the assistance!

OP
OP
J

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Ok .. is it possible I'm even more wrong? It could be! Is this actually two different things that I'm thinking is one part? Looking at different diagrams - the part that has the wire connector is the steering wheel sensor - which is just now occurring to me might be totally separate from the column bearing ... like do I just need to take off the sensor and THEN the bearing is totally seperate, replace with the new bearing, and then the steering wheel sensor just slides back on behind the bearing? Please tell me that is what I'm actually looking at, because then I'll go from feeling pretty damn stupid, to pretty dang smart, to being able to do what I started out doing ... as I've never done anything like this before I just kept watching you tube videos ... so perhaps each damn video just overlooked/skipped the steering wheel sensor and just focused on the bearing.... someone, anyone tell me that's possible lol...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check out the you tube videos for the replacement procedure. The noise you described may not be coming from a bearing and maybe not even the steering wheel position sensor but could be coming from this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10378128&cc=1061367&pt=11373&jsn=915

Typically the noise is caused by spline dryness and the new part fixes it if is that design. Those sometimes could be removed and then pulled apart and cleaned and greased and problem solved. A lot like splines on a driveshaft. The SHAFT on yours could have something like that where it steps up in size or problems at either end where it attaches.

Not every clunk steering feel is ALWAYS the shaft causing. I would guess that when you were looking at you tube videos for the noise concern and skipped right on by the shaft problems on certain designs. It happens.

Trained techs can guess, several on here, but if cannot hear it or see it first hand and inspect, then you are going to get what lots of us have seen before but is not ALWAYS a fix.

Other possibles: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10378100&cc=1061367&pt=13584&jsn=920

and this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=452178&cc=1061367&pt=16755&jsn=923

Last edited: