Travel Trailer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a travel trailer to put on our lot up north to use during the summer for a couple years while we work on building a cabin. I don't plan to tow the trailer far, however, I may end up buying one out of state of 100-200 miles from where we will ultimately put it. It will need to go a few miles a few times a summer to pump the tanks until we can get our septic and well put in. We will also store it indoors so will need to drive a couple miles to storage every fall and spring (probably 2 miles tops to storage).

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali with air ride and LT Tires. I am looking at a Mallard M32 trailer. It is 6800lbs dry with about 600lbs tongue weight and is 34' long. I know this is close to the limits of the truck, so wondering from those with real world experience towing a travel trailer if this is too much trailer for the limited amount of traveling I will do with it.

I am also open to alternate trailer options. We have 2 small kids so need a trailer with a bunk house + the main bedroom.

Thanks in advance.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a travel trailer to put on our lot up north to use during the summer for a couple years while we work on building a cabin. I don't plan to tow the trailer far, however, I may end up buying one out of state of 100-200 miles from where we will ultimately put it. It will need to go a few miles a few times a summer to pump the tanks until we can get our septic and well put in. We will also store it indoors so will need to drive a couple miles to storage every fall and spring (probably 2 miles tops to storage).

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali with air ride and LT Tires. I am looking at a Mallard M32 trailer. It is 6800lbs dry with about 600lbs tongue weight and is 34' long. I know this is close to the limits of the truck, so wondering from those with real world experience towing a travel trailer if this is too much trailer for the limited amount of traveling I will do with it.

I am also open to alternate trailer options. We have 2 small kids so need a trailer with a bunk house + the main bedroom.

Thanks in advance.
Ours is 32’ long and about 1000 lbs lighter, and when it’s loaded for camping it’s 7500 lbs and the tongue is around 800 lbs, so we’re close to the limit. It’s a forest river Cherokee alpha wolf 26DBH-L which is a bunkhouse floor plan. We love it.

I assume your Yukon is not an XL, correct? That trailer is a little longer and heavier than I’d like to see on such a short wheelbase, though admittedly its longer than the previous generations wheelbases were.

For short hauls as you describe I think you’ll be fine as long as you have a good weight distribution hitch, properly set up, but when the camper is loaded you will be over the limits for towing capacity and likely over the payload rating of your Yukon. I would wager that your tongue weight empty will be closer to 800 lbs and more than that loaded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours is 32’ long and about 1000 lbs lighter, and when it’s loaded for camping it’s 7500 lbs and the tongue is around 800 lbs, so we’re close to the limit. It’s a forest river Cherokee alpha wolf 26DBH-L which is a bunkhouse floor plan. We love it.

I assume your Yukon is not an XL, correct? That trailer is a little longer and heavier than I’d like to see on such a short wheelbase, though admittedly its longer than the previous generations wheelbases were.

For short hauls as you describe I think you’ll be fine as long as you have a good weight distribution hitch, properly set up, but when the camper is loaded you will be over the limits for towing capacity and likely over the payload rating of your Yukon. I would wager that your tongue weight empty will be closer to 800 lbs and more than that loaded.
Thank you! I assumed it was going to be on the tipping edge. I'll message you separately on the Forest River Brand. Found some nice looking ones close to me.

squark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pull a 33' travel trailer with our Yukon XL Denali Reserve (Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH). Loaded for a trip it's 7,600lb and has 780lb of tongue weight. It handles well with a Weigh Safe WDH. I feel wind and sometimes passing trucks, but it's stable and never feels squirrely. It's not quite apples-to-apples since I have the longer wheelbase. I wouldn't go any bigger than what you're talking about, but if it's set up well, within your tow capacities, and you keep your speeds a little lower I think you'd be ok for 100-200 miles. If you're concerned about it, Enterprise Truck rents 3/4 ton trucks for ~$100/day last I checked. For the 2 miles to storage, you'll be fine.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 33' travel trailer with our Yukon XL Denali Reserve (Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH). Loaded for a trip it's 7,600lb and has 780lb of tongue weight. It handles well with a Weigh Safe WDH. I feel wind and sometimes passing trucks, but it's stable and never feels squirrely. It's not quite apples-to-apples since I have the longer wheelbase. I wouldn't go any bigger than what you're talking about, but if it's set up well, within your tow capacities, and you keep your speeds a little lower I think you'd be ok for 100-200 miles. If you're concerned about it, Enterprise Truck rents 3/4 ton trucks for ~$100/day last I checked. For the 2 miles to storage, you'll be fine.
I was looking at the enterprise 3/4 ton rental to get it to my lot. That's definitely an option!

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - quick update on the camper situation. I ended up finding a camper a little more in the weight range for the Yukon to pull, so ended up with a Keystone Passport GT 2950BH. Dry weight for the rig is about 6200lbs with around 700lbs of tongue weight, 34' long and I am running an E2 Trunnion Anti-sway/Distribution Hitch.

Finally made the maiden voyage this morning to lake about 100 miles away and it pulled fantastic! I did about 65 MPH the entire trip and it felt great towing. I did have it fairly well loaded with gear and a full fresh water tank as well. Very happy with the towing capabilities of this rig. The pictures are of the truck prior to starting it and letting the air bags fill up completely so the rear end did come up even further from where it was when parked. AND that rear angled photo really makes the trailer look much bigger than it really is LOL

I did forget to mention that my Yukon has the Max Towing package as well which I am sure helps with cooling, etc.

Appreciate all the input.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all - quick update on the camper situation. I ended up finding a camper a little more in the weight range for the Yukon to pull, so ended up with a Keystone Passport GT 2950BH. Dry weight for the rig is about 6200lbs with around 700lbs of tongue weight, 34' long and I am running an E2 Trunnion Anti-sway/Distribution Hitch.

Finally made the maiden voyage this morning to lake about 100 miles away and it pulled fantastic! I did about 65 MPH the entire trip and it felt great towing. I did have it fairly well loaded with gear and a full fresh water tank as well. Very happy with the towing capabilities of this rig. The pictures are of the truck prior to starting it and letting the air bags fill up completely so the rear end did come up even further from where it was when parked. AND that rear angled photo really makes the trailer look much bigger than it really is LOL

I did forget to mention that my Yukon has the Max Towing package as well which I am sure helps with cooling, etc.

Appreciate all the input.
Looks great! Sitting just like it should. Which hitch did you end up with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC