Transmission!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18tahoepremium

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ that I bought brand new with about 63,000 miles. Started having issues with a whirring sound upon acceleration a couple weeks ago. Took it to the dealership was told it could be the transmission pump but they wouldn’t be able to tell till they got into it and could tear it down but, they couldn’t do it that day because it was right before Christmas. I asked if it was ok to drive in the meantime and they said yes nothing catastrophic would happen! Well not even a week later and only 130 miles driven since, the transmission goes out! Won’t shift past 1st acts like it’s in neutral. But if I turn it off and then back on again I can get it going again until I come to a stop! Weird!!! I have to have it towed to the dealer to see exactly what the problem is but has anyone had this issue? I called the dealer to let them know and was told if it’s the transmission that needs to be replaced it could be 6-9,000 grand if it’s the pump could be 3-5,000 grand! Not the way I wanted to start the new year! Any insight is greatly appreciated!

*it’s the 8 speed! *edit* it is in fact the 6 speed! Just checked it manually
I just had my 6 speed rebuilt in my 18 premier to the tune of $4500. Heat is the killer of these transmissions. The torque converter goes bad and destroys the transmission. Just be sure to install a lower temp thermostat, like what superior offers, to keep the temps down.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
So this just happened to my 2016. Torque converter went and took the transmission with it. I was shocked. No transmission should go at 85k miles, especially a Chevy truck transmission. I now see it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I was given 3 options: (1) my local mechanic has a guy that will rebuild them for about $4,100 with a 1 year/12k mile warranty; (2) there was another company (i have to look up name maybe its mentioned here) that apparently is known for rebuilding these and charges around $5,900 with a 3 year/100k mile warranty; or (3) salvage a used one for cheaper and consider trading in. Oh and options 1 and 2 due to shortages are at least 2 weeks.

Does Chevrolet still cruise this page? Its worth at least a message to them that they may have lost a life-long, "enthusiastic" (see avatar pic) customer/fan. Just convinced my cousin to get a Trail Boss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grandpops73

Grandpops73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry it’s taken so long to respond, been traveling and what not! But I finally got it repaired a few weeks ago and it’s like brand new! From what the dealer told me is that the gears sharded out and caused the problem!

Unfortunately my warranty did not cover the entire amount quoted from the dealer of $,9000. My warranty didn’t cover the amount of labor and the genuine parts! So I had to come out of pocket $2,400! Guess that’s better than the entire amount!
Anyways thanks for all your help on this matter!!!

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just had my 6 speed tranny go out on my 2016 Tahoe. I was just under 128K miles. I bought it used two years ago and it had 88K miles. First thing I did was change the transmission fluid. Either way, same issues as mentioned above, torque converter, etc. I had mine replaced at Aamco and have been VERY pleased. Cost me $4246.31 with tax. Drives like it's brand new. Sucks to spend the $$ but WAY cheaper than a new or used Tahoe. My Aamco rebuilt tranny comes with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry it’s taken so long to respond, been traveling and what not! But I finally got it repaired a few weeks ago and it’s like brand new! From what the dealer told me is that the gears sharded out and caused the problem!

Unfortunately my warranty did not cover the entire amount quoted from the dealer of $,9000. My warranty didn’t cover the amount of labor and the genuine parts! So I had to come out of pocket $2,400! Guess that’s better than the entire amount!
Anyways thanks for all your help on this matter!!!
that dealer is on crack, dealer price should be more like 5-6k at the most, a transmission shop is more like 4-4500, but sounds like at least it didn't cost that much anyway

SpineDock

Reaction score
I just had my 6 speed rebuilt in my 18 premier to the tune of $4500. Heat is the killer of these transmissions. The torque converter goes bad and destroys the transmission. Just be sure to install a lower temp thermostat, like what superior offers, to keep the temps down.
I just went to Superior’s site but there are so many options if I don’t know what type of transmission. I have a 2015 Tahoe LT, 6 speed, 53k miles and the CARFAX doesn’t show any record of transmission service (yet).
Also, would someone send me the picture of the severe service schedule for 2015 Tahoes?
Thanks guys