Transmission!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shankska

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same thing happened to me on Friday. ~85k on 2016 Tahoe LT. 6 spd. My wifes car.
No issues, then suddenly in the parking lot, car went into neutral and undrivable. Towed to dealer. Called this morning said torque converter went out and sent metal thru trans. Needs new transmission. ~$6k to replace.

Is this a common issue with these models and transmission?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me on Friday. ~85k on 2016 Tahoe LT. 6 spd. My wifes car.
No issues, then suddenly in the parking lot, car went into neutral and undrivable. Towed to dealer. Called this morning said torque converter went out and sent metal thru trans. Needs new transmission. ~$6k to replace.

Is this a common issue with these models and transmission?
Yes, it because the transmission thermostat burns them up prematurely and the plate for the torque converter clutch is too thin. Gets hot, flexes, comes apart and sends metal through the transmission. Make sure y'all either "flip the pill" or put in the new lower temperature transmission thermostat. Change the fluid every 40K miles or so too. The fluid is dead by 45K.

Welcome to the forum folks!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully @rockola1971 will chime in with insight. Sorry for your troubles. Be aware that pricing will include the very high dealer labor rate, high parts mark up, complete flush of system which will be even more fluid. A known quality transmission shop can do for less I bet and I have sold Jasper engines and transmissions before and never once had a warranty comeback with them.
I can honestly say that I dont know a whole lot about the 6spd GM trannys. They werent even in existence in my days of playing in stinky burnt tranny fluid. Ill have to watch a vid on teardown and see what they are all about internally.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ that I bought brand new with about 63,000 miles. Started having issues with a whirring sound upon acceleration a couple weeks ago. Took it to the dealership was told it could be the transmission pump but they wouldn’t be able to tell till they got into it and could tear it down but, they couldn’t do it that day because it was right before Christmas. I asked if it was ok to drive in the meantime and they said yes nothing catastrophic would happen! Well not even a week later and only 130 miles driven since, the transmission goes out! Won’t shift past 1st acts like it’s in neutral. But if I turn it off and then back on again I can get it going again until I come to a stop! Weird!!! I have to have it towed to the dealer to see exactly what the problem is but has anyone had this issue? I called the dealer to let them know and was told if it’s the transmission that needs to be replaced it could be 6-9,000 grand if it’s the pump could be 3-5,000 grand! Not the way I wanted to start the new year! Any insight is greatly appreciated!

*it’s the 8 speed! *edit* it is in fact the 6 speed! Just checked it manually
Drive the suv on manual mode and shift up w the column shifter +/- button and report back. If it drives in manual mode it's the shift silonoids. I know two folks that their trannys stop driving on auto and worked on manual mode. Both tahoes were low miles and 2018 models. Transmission repairs for the silonoids is about 1500 bucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dealer may let you extend the warranty which would pay for the repair. They get the extended warranty sale plus the tranny repair. Check with the Finance Manager its worth a shot.
GM Reman transmissions come with 3 year 100K mile warranty and of course can be serviced nationwide.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ that I bought brand new with about 63,000 miles. Started having issues with a whirring sound upon acceleration a couple weeks ago. Took it to the dealership was told it could be the transmission pump but they wouldn’t be able to tell till they got into it and could tear it down but, they couldn’t do it that day because it was right before Christmas. I asked if it was ok to drive in the meantime and they said yes nothing catastrophic would happen! Well not even a week later and only 130 miles driven since, the transmission goes out! Won’t shift past 1st acts like it’s in neutral. But if I turn it off and then back on again I can get it going again until I come to a stop! Weird!!! I have to have it towed to the dealer to see exactly what the problem is but has anyone had this issue? I called the dealer to let them know and was told if it’s the transmission that needs to be replaced it could be 6-9,000 grand if it’s the pump could be 3-5,000 grand! Not the way I wanted to start the new year! Any insight is greatly appreciated!

*it’s the 8 speed! *edit* it is in fact the 6 speed! Just checked it manually
I do automatic transmission overhaul in Germany and i can tell you, that your dealer is not, what i would call professional.

If an automatic transmission makes a whirring noise, you better stop the engine and open the unit. No one, not the best mechanic, can tell what exactly in the unit is the problem and therefor can tell you, with a clear conscience that you can drive with that problem, without even damaging more.

And its for 99% not the pump. I think probably one gear has a broken retainer, or a bearing failed.

If you have no guaranty at the car, go to a transmission overhaul company, which are specialized, not to a dealer who send you on the road with a problem like this..

Brewder

Reaction score
Yes, it because the transmission thermostat burns them up prematurely and the plate for the torque converter clutch is too thin. Gets hot, flexes, comes apart and sends metal through the transmission. Make sure y'all either "flip the pill" or put in the new lower temperature transmission thermostat. Change the fluid every 40K miles or so too. The fluid is dead by 45K.

Welcome to the forum folks!
I agree... I asked for my thermostat to be replaced.. then got the TC also replaced under CPO Warranty at 44k.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it! I have a local transmission shop that comes highly recommended. I’ll tow it them and get an exact quote! Sad thing is I had an extended warranty but didn’t realize it had expired in June of 22. Had I been on it and aware I would’ve extended it further! I’m kicking myself for it but, I don’t think it should have failed this early, especially since its babied and well maintained!

Where are you in PA? This is one of my local shops that is very well respected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep