Transmission whine when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
Recently started noticing the trans making a whine when cold at low speeds. Shifting to neutral while rolling stops it. Sounds exactly like a supercharger whine. Reason for concern or normal? I only noticed after rolling the windows down.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently started noticing the trans making a whine when cold at low speeds. Shifting to neutral while rolling stops it. Sounds exactly like a supercharger whine. Reason for concern or normal? I only noticed after rolling the windows down.
I reckon it's either the pump or torque converter. Take it in if under warranty.

808RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've noticed the same noise with my Tahoe as well, mine seems to happen regardless if cold or warm. I was going to bring it into the dealer but if anyone has insight into this and it's normal, would save me the hassle of dealing with dealership.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same noise with my Tahoe as well, mine seems to happen regardless if cold or warm. I was going to bring it into the dealer but if anyone has insight into this and it's normal, would save me the hassle of dealing with dealership.
Just curious...did you take it to the dealer? Mine is doing the same thing, but I'm almost wondering if it's a normal sound with this model (it's the only 2021 model I've driven so I have nothing to compare it to but your post).

808RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious...did you take it to the dealer? Mine is doing the same thing, but I'm almost wondering if it's a normal sound with this model (it's the only 2021 model I've driven so I have nothing to compare it to but your post).
@Micahsd I haven't taken it in yet, I think I am convincing myself that this is a normal noise. This is my first Chevy as well, so I am not sure what is normal.....I have about 3,000 miles if that's any help. I won't be able to get it to the dealer for a couple weeks...i'll let you know what they end up saying.

OP
OP
D

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
Update to this. It happens on random days usually first thing in the morning. Seems like the torque converter is a lot looser when it whines.. can hardly feel a shift and acceleration seems to suffer. I'll have the dealer look at it next time i take it in.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Update to this. It happens on random days usually first thing in the morning. Seems like the torque converter is a lot looser when it whines.. can hardly feel a shift and acceleration seems to suffer. I'll have the dealer look at it next time i take it in.
No bueño.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts