2005 Tahoe z71 squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I know the nbs transfer cases have a problem with rub through. Get under and look at the transfer case. That grinding is probably coming from there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Found out some new things about my squeak tonight.

Still squeaking as before but I clicked into 4wd drive at a low coasting speed. The squeak went away. Then this grinding could be heard and felt in the floor boards when I came to a stop. Also less noise and grinding sound when I started to speed up, but I could still hear it. Finally switching out of
4high to 2high. No speak for about 100 ish feet then squeak is back. What about that? Still bad CVs and prop shaft? Or is the front diff roasted.

Have not had time to get the tahoe on a lift yet.
Right now you are hearing the noise when you are in cab and driving. The way to pinpoint is to do as I suggested with the mechanic's stethoscope or take to a shop and get in the air on a drive on rack and listen.

WoodaWelder79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s a good point. I only have two stands now, some over drive on ramps and a quality jack, But would have to get more stands. Never had a vehicle off the ground on all four wheels. So I think I will take it by my buddies shop and get him to load the suspension and we will try to find the squeaking. Thank you.
First of all YOU DO NOT SWITCH FROM 2wd to 4wd while in motion. You should be completely stopped. This will save your trans!! Grinding you hear are the gears in your trans bc of the abuse.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First of all YOU DO NOT SWITCH FROM 2wd to 4wd while in motion. You should be completely stopped. This will save your trans!! Grinding you hear are the gears in your trans bc of the abuse.

The switch isn't made (effected) by the trans, it's done by the transfer case. If the OP has the 2 speed transfer case (NP246e), the internal workings (read: clutch packs) allow for on-the-fly mode switching except for in/out of the 4LO mode.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The switch isn't made (effected) by the trans, it's done by the transfer case. If the OP has the 2 speed transfer case (NP246e), the internal workings (read: clutch packs) allow for on-the-fly mode switching except for in/out of the 4LO mode.
I do have the NVG246 t-case and I have switched from 2hi to 4hi with no hiccups but I have never shifted on the "fly" so to speak in to 4lo. I have been moving under 10 mph and again, with no problems and even stopped to go to 4lo. Either way I have done it, I have had no problems. On my other GM trucks, with the floor shift, I could float the 2hi to 4hi shift and was ok but I never moved when shifting to 4lo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts