Transmission thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rickpo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about deleting it unless you live in a hot ONLY climate... I added an aftermarket one to my system so in the winter the fluid bypasses my extra coolers and uses the radiator to warm up the trans fluid quicker. When it's warm enough, the thermostat opens and runs to 2 extra coolers. I've never had an issue with my transmission overheating and I see some hot temps during Michigan summers. I should warn all of you thinking about deleting those that a COLD transmission can be just as bad as a HOT one. In the winter, I never see my temps go above 130-150 and ideally these transmissions should be ran at 165-185. 185 is the actual desired temp, any colder or hotter and you risk extra wear and tear on the clutch packs.
Thanks for that info

Fred34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an issue where they had to rebuild my tranny on my 2015 suburban. The tranny failed again about a month later. Dealer said that I needed a new tranny ( 2 to 3 week delivery) Insurance co told me to go back to place that rebuilt it the first time. They called me the next day and said it was finished. They told me the tranny was fine ( incl the tranny oil pump, which dealer said you could hear screaming), but the oil cooler was plugged solid. They DISCONNECTED THE TRANNY COOLER LINES FROM MY RADIATOR, REMOVED THE EXISTING COOLER FROM IN FRONT OF THE RAD, AND INSTALLED A NEW COOLER BACK IN FRONT OF THE RAD ??? Now I have no cooler lines going to or from the rad, oil temp in summer is about 192 deg , and all seems fine. In the winter, the tranny oil is either 185 deg or down at about 136 deg , all seems ok ??? They also told me that the sump filter was plugged up. ( after just having been rebuilt a month before ??? ) Any thoughts on this one ??? Sorry, forgot to mention that it’s a Police Persuit Vehic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645