Transmission thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does deleting the trans thermostat cause it to run cooler? I don't doubt that it could, I just don't understand how that works.
Barely hit 145 in the winter and 165 in the summer I live in the Desert so not having one is necessary.... it does have a tras cooler

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you drive to warm humid climates does it run hotter? I know that systems like a/c do real well in dry desert heat but work the hardest in hot AND humid weather.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The thermostat was introduced on the 6L80s on the K2XX platform (2015-2020). They are designed to fail open.

I would be curious if one ever failed closed. We all know that designing something to work one way is never an 100% guarantee that it will. Just playing devil's advocate.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It will take an act of God to get that info. GM will not release whether the fail safe closed instead of opened. Shall see.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about deleting it unless you live in a hot ONLY climate... I added an aftermarket one to my system so in the winter the fluid bypasses my extra coolers and uses the radiator to warm up the trans fluid quicker. When it's warm enough, the thermostat opens and runs to 2 extra coolers. I've never had an issue with my transmission overheating and I see some hot temps during Michigan summers. I should warn all of you thinking about deleting those that a COLD transmission can be just as bad as a HOT one. In the winter, I never see my temps go above 130-150 and ideally these transmissions should be ran at 165-185. 185 is the actual desired temp, any colder or hotter and you risk extra wear and tear on the clutch packs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic