Transmission Oil Cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blumax

Reaction score
Looking for info concerning trans oil cooler. My "Hoe" has the factory cooler but I want to upgrade. Towing 6700lb camper trans temp reaches 210-225 with the factory cooler. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for info concerning trans oil cooler. My "Hoe" has the factory cooler but I want to upgrade. Towing 6700lb camper trans temp reaches 210-225 with the factory cooler. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...vw-transmission-cooler-install-thread-470284/

tru-cool 40k is highly regarded. $150 + depending on your choice of plumbing or brackets.

There is a vendor that makes the brackets and sells with hardware to make it a plug and play deal.

I installed a cheaper 12x12 cooler Hayden 679 (i found it new open box on amazon for $45) recently in place of my factory 12x3" cooler on my Denali. In 105*+ weather travelling in stop and go in the hills with the thing full of people I never saw over 155*.

If I used this rig to tow more then I would likely have spent the extra cash on the bigger cooler.

OP
OP
B

Blumax

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I went with the Tru Cool based on your input. Seriously, I did purchase the Tru-Cool filter and will have it installed Monday.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I went with the Tru Cool based on your input. Seriously, I did purchase the Tru-Cool filter and will have it installed Monday.
Excellent news. You will be quite happy with your tru cool 40k. Plenty of guys running them, and I've heard nothing but good things [emoji41]

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Take a look at my post from a year or so ago. I also tow 6700# and was seeing trans temps in the 225 range when pulling hills. Installed a Derali cooler in series with the stock cooler so I now have 2 up there. Trans temps rarely get above 195 when towing , usually in the 185-190 range.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/derali-trans-cooler-installed-in-denali.54701/#post-683122

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at my post from a year or so ago. I also tow 6700# and was seeing trans temps in the 225 range when pulling hills. Installed a Derali cooler in series with the stock cooler so I now have 2 up there. Trans temps rarely get above 195 when towing , usually in the 185-190 range.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/derali-trans-cooler-installed-in-denali.54701/#post-683122

I can't say that I love that install from an aesthetic perspective. But it sounds like it works!

I got a similar sized cooler and deleted my factory cooler (same as yours). I have not towed yet, but in ambient temps over 100 and stop and go traffic with 5 people in the car I have yet to see over 155*

I have the 'vette servo installed which helps a bit also.

The NNBS tend to have the trans run a bit warmer for some reason.

Vortecmass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have photos before and after cooler upgrade?
Thanks

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have photos before and after cooler upgrade?
Thanks

He linked the thread where he did his install, it shows that.

I have to rip mine back apart to clean it up and finalize the install. Will post pictures of that at some point. I plan to bypass the radiator completely since I live in CA and rarely see freezing temps.