Derali trans cooler installed in Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I saw trans temps top 220 last weekend, the first thing I did immediately after getting home was to order a Derali trans cooler along with a Derali GM cooler adapter. Folks at eTrailer.com are great, have dealt with them for years and their customer service plus technical knowledge is great for anyone who tows.

Got the cooler and adapter (best $.99 you can spend) during the week and got around to installing it yesterday afternoon. Think it took me a grand total of 2 hours, but bet I could do it again in under an hour, including the time it takes to remove and reinstall the full front clip.

1st pic is what it looks like stock, not a bad size cooler but not big enough.
2nd pic shows the new cooler clamped in place and starting to bold it to the crossmember. Note the crash sensor unplugged and hanging down, be very careful with that.
3rd pic is the cooler bolted in place, and an extra brace that I fabbed in place.
4th pic is the final installation, everything silver painted black, the cooler plumbed, crash sensor plugged back in.

As you can see, the new cooler is probably 50% bigger than the stock cooler so I should have plenty of cool trans fluid now. Best $60 and 2 hours I've spent on the Denali.

Attachments

• cooler before cr.jpg
    cooler before cr.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 123
  • cooler fab cr.jpg
    cooler fab cr.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 124
  • cooler bracket cr.jpg
    cooler bracket cr.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 120
  • cooler done cr.jpg
    cooler done cr.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 123

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link I bought a wave runner and want one for towing next summer.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a bolt in kit where I don't have to fab up everything. Have you towed with it yet? I'm curious what kind of drop in temperatures you are seeing?

I watched the video and it looks like the factory Denali trans cooler is still used in conjunction with the aftermarket cooler. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
T

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a bolt in kit where I don't have to fab up everything. Have you towed with it yet? I'm curious what kind of drop in temperatures you are seeing?

I watched the video and it looks like the factory Denali trans cooler is still used in conjunction with the aftermarket cooler. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Todd

Towed with it yesterday, not the fully loaded trailer or stop and go interstate but even so, never got above 180. In the past it would have been 200-220. As long as I can keep it below 200 in worst case conditions I'll be happy, 220-225 is just too hot.

And yes, both coolers are being run now. Comes from the trans, into the stock cooler, out of stock and into the Derali, then back to trans.

So you now run two coolers? Why not get one big cooler and call it a day?

I could have done that but there's nothing wrong with the factory cooler other than it's too small. And actually as a stacked plate cooler it's a great design. I considered replacing the stock cooler with a big stacked plate cooler but it would have been closer to $350 for the correct sized cooler. In this case I kept the stock stacked plate and added a plate-fin cooler. Just stay away from the budget tube-fin coolers. If I still get too close to 200, then I'll remove both coolers and add a big stacked plate. But figured I'd go the $60 route first to see if it would make enough of a difference.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and FWIW, I use a similar size stacked plate Derali cooler in my 911 race car along with a pump and tstat to get trans temps down. Before cycling the gear oil through the cooler the trans temp would get up to 240 and would start getting hard to shift 30 min into a race. And I was running 90W140 weight oil too. With the pump and cooler, and tstat set to 185 degrees, I now run lighter 75W90 oil and the temps never get above 200 even at the end of a 45 min race. Hopefully both transmissions in the Denali and 911 live longer now.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Curious if you are still happy with the Derali cooler? I just bought one for an '07 Escalade and plan to install it over the winter. Was removing the front bumper required? On my Escalade I can remove the grill area and seem to have access to everything you do in your pictures.

Could you tell a significant difference in tranny temperature this summer with your fully loaded trailer?

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
T

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if you are still happy with the Derali cooler? I just bought one for an '07 Escalade and plan to install it over the winter. Was removing the front bumper required? On my Escalade I can remove the grill area and seem to have access to everything you do in your pictures.

Could you tell a significant difference in tranny temperature this summer with your fully loaded trailer?

Thanks,
Todd

On the Denali I had to remove the front bumper assembly. While that may sound like a big job, it's really quite simple and quick to do. Gave me a lot of room to work as you can see in the pics.

Yes I'm very happy. The last heavy tow I made, with about 6,500 lbs behind me, I never got above 180, compared to 220+ before. Granted the outside temps were in the 70's not the 90's but I use to see 215-220 even in 75 degree weather when towing before the second cooler. Basically I more than doubled the size of the cooler area.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans coolers are always a good idea. If you need more cooling you could always bypass the radiator. They are known to sometimes crack mixing trans fluid and coolant which kills the trans...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artmumf