Transmission in gear, Truck won’t move.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you ever changed the transmision oil? Do you have the 6spd or 8spd tranny?

The valve body solenoids might be dirty, especially if you have never changed the oil.

The transmission oil was changed a year ago maybe a little more. It’s a 6 spd (6L80 tranny).

OP
OP
M

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably the pump, maybe the torque converter. Could be time for the solenoids to be rebuilt. Regardless, the transmission shop will tell you it's completely broken and you need everything replaced for $3500-$6500.

I have no clue at this point. One mechanic said he can pull it and break it down. Another is saying just swap it. I do know on a cold start it drives and goes in reverse, but when the transmission heats up it slips and ultimately stops functioning.

OP
OP
M

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I mean, if you’re going to tear one down you might as well. The cost of the parts isn’t what kills you, it’s the labor to pull it, fix it, and reinstall it. I wouldn’t remove a trans without rebuilding it, it’s not worth it. If you can fix it without pulling it that’s different.

I have no clue at this point. One mechanic said he can pull it and break it down. Another is saying just swap it. I do know on a cold start it drives and goes in reverse, but when the transmission heats up it slips and ultimately stops functioning.

OP
OP
M

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Out of curiosity when was the last time you changed your Trans Fluid at the dealer?

It was changed a year ago maybe 14/15 months. I have no clue at this point. One mechanic said he can pull it and break it down. Another is saying just swap it. I do know on a cold start it drives and goes in reverse, but when the transmission heats up it slips and ultimately stops functioning.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you’re going to tear one down you might as well. The cost of the parts isn’t what kills you, it’s the labor to pull it, fix it, and reinstall it. I wouldn’t remove a trans without rebuilding it, it’s not worth it. If you can fix it without pulling it that’s different.
Years ago I wanted the trans in my beater 89 dodge w250 plow truck rebuilt and 2 guys I called said they would not just take the trans and rebuild it.. they wanted the entire truck, they remove/rebuild/replace trans, to make sure the truck was running right and that there weren’t any other mechanical problems.... never have I come across that prior to and since then, they wanted more money to remove/replace... they said they couldn’t guarantee the rebuild if I did that labor. It actually annoyed me to point that to this day when I pass the one guys shop I still flip the building the bird....

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a local indie you trust? They’re worth their weight in gold. An honest trans guy won’t just yank it out at first or say you need a new one or a rebuild they’ll check everything they can access from the outside.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I looked in the shop manual afterwards and saw that it could be something more severe, like a cracked drum that is bleeding off the pressure which then causes it to not move. Proper diagnostic computer will steer them in the right direction if not tell them exactly what's wrong. Having a GM dealership replace the transmission comes with a 100K warranty, so consider that.

Bob Miske

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you tried putting it in 4 wheel drive? The same thing happened to me. I pulled off the interstate and stopped at the light. Light turns green, I go nowhere. I was on a downhill slope so I could push it away from the intersection. I called for a tow truck. When the driver got there, he asked if 4 wheel drive works. I limped over to the dealer to get the vehicle checked. The transfer case went out. The service writer says its fairly common. They had one in stock, so 4 hours later, I was back on the road.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar to when my torque converter quit on my 2016 tahoe. Suddenly it flared a couple times then just would not go after a stop sign. pulled pan and lots of metal. I went ahead and upgraded the transmission. If you can work on your own stuff any the trans in this body style is super easy to get out and go back in.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2015 Tahoe LT that the transmission went out within 24hrs from buying. It had 132,000 miles on it. Shifted fine test driving, then it croaked the next morning. It's being replaced now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts